𝑩𝒐𝒊𝒍𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝑷𝒐𝒊𝒏𝒕

Awakening to an empty bed sent a jolt of fear through Dahlia's body as she frantically searched for Finnick's reassuring hold

Awakening to an empty bed sent a jolt of fear through Dahlia's body as she frantically searched for Finnick's reassuring hold. Her heart only calmed when she heard muffled chatter echoing from the kitchen. It may have been too difficult to understand what was being said, but she could recognise Finnick's voice anywhere. He was still here, he hadn't left her.

Filled with relief, Dahlia flung herself out of the bed and let her bare feet pad along the cold floors to lead her back to the safety of Finnick's arms. She felt like a little girl who'd just had a nightmare seeking out the comfort of her guardians to protect and soothe her, to tell her that there's nothing to be afraid of. But both her parents were gone and Alaric knew better than to lie to her. They both knew she'd experienced too much to try and believe that there were no monsters in the world. The monsters they knew just happened to look a lot like humans.

The conversation became clearer as she grew closer to the kitchen and she found herself pausing in the corridor outside the entrance at the words being exchanged. She could hear the fury in Finnick's tone as he growls out, "I can't just let Snow get away with hurting her like that. She's not his plaything to torment."

"What could you do, Finnick?" Alaric asks calmly, acting as the voice of reason between the two despite his own anger. "Maim him... Kill him? You know it's impossible to retaliate against Snow without facing consequences."

"I'm willing to face those consequences if that's what it takes." Finnick retorts defiantly, his features hardened in determination. "I don't care what happens to me--"

"But what about her?" Alaric interrupts sharply, knowing Finnick's words are dangerous while they reside in the midst of the Capitol. Anyone could be listening in on them. "Are you willing to let her face the consequences of your actions?" That silences the District Four Victor, who finally allows the gravity of the situation to sink in. Snow has a habit of punishing people for the mistakes of others, allowing feelings of guilt to take root in their minds. That's what he'd done with Dahlia and he could easily do it with Finnick. Snow would take his revenge on the one person Finnick loved more than anything, his little flower. "You care about her, Finnick. I know you do... But so do I. And I won't let you do anything that could get her hurt."

"I would never hurt her." Finnick snaps, his anger growing at the image of Dahlia suffering because of him. Now he understands the crippling remorse she feels for her actions in the past and the fear that takes hold of her if she ever considers rebelling. It's horrible knowing that someone he loves might suffer for his actions.

"Which is why you won't do anything that might backfire on her." Alaric instructs sternly, leaving no room for Finnick to argue back. The two men may not see eye to eye on everything, but when it comes to Dahlia, they will always put her first. Which is why Finnick's shoulders deflate as he gives in to Alaric's strict orders.

"I just... I feel so useless." Finnick sighs quietly, a twinge of disappointment evident in his voice. Dahlia's heart falls at his despair, yearning to comfort him just as he had done for her. But her curiosity gets the better of her as he continues to talk. "All I've ever wanted to do is protect her and, so far, I've failed every single time."

𝑻𝑯𝑬 𝑩𝑳𝑨𝑪𝑲 𝑫𝑨𝑯𝑳𝑰𝑨, 𝒇𝒊𝒏𝒏𝒊𝒄𝒌 𝒐𝒅𝒂𝒊𝒓On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara