𝑵𝒐 𝑹𝒆𝒔𝒕 𝑭𝒐𝒓 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑾𝒊𝒄𝒌𝒆𝒅

While Peeta was drawing out fresh water using the spile in a nearby tree, Dahlia was submerged waist-deep in the pool with Finnick and Katniss

While Peeta was drawing out fresh water using the spile in a nearby tree, Dahlia was submerged waist-deep in the pool with Finnick and Katniss. Finnick had refused to let go of the girl's hand, constantly running his fingers over her skin with his head hung low. Eventually, Katniss decided to break the solemn silence that had settled amongst them.

"I'm sorry about Mags." She murmurs softly, remorseful for the loss of an incredible woman who greeted everyone she met with unbiased kindness.

Finnick's grip on Dahlia's hand tightens as his face falls at the reminder. His lips are curved downward in an uncharacteristically serious frown. This time, Dahlia is the one to trail her thumb along the skin of his hand in comfort. Though she was also mourning for the caring lady, he's grateful to have her by his side, always feeling stronger when he can feel her presence nearby.

"She was never gonna make it. So..." Finnick admits with a heavy tone and an even heavier heart, swallowing harshly to suppress the emotions building up within him.

Dahlia laces her fingers through Finnick's, bringing their joined hand to her lips and pressing a loving kiss to his skin. "We just need to make sure her sacrifice was worth something." She states firmly, determined not to let Mags' death be in vain.

Finnick nods in agreement, staring at Dahlia with a small smile as he knows the hidden meaning behind her words. Mags died for the Rebellion. She died secure in the knowledge that Dahlia and Finnick would carry on for her. Their mission has become even more important now. They have to do it for Mags.

As Finnick tears his gaze away from Dahlia, his eyes skim briefly over their surroundings before looking down. Then his eyebrows furrow and he flicks his gaze back up. His face falls at the sight in front of him, gently grasping Dahlia's chin to direct her attention to what he's seeing. Her expression hardens similarly to Finnick's as she nudges Katniss with her elbow. As the girl becomes aware of what has rattled her allies, she reaches back to grab an arrow from her quiver. The trio slowly rises to their feet in the water, Dahlia unsheathing her sword while Finnick releases her hand.

"What?" He gasps out in bafflement as the mutt mandrills stare back at them. The group find themselves gradually being surrounded by the creatures, their beady eyes glaring down at the apprehensive humans.

One brave mutt approaches the edge of the pool as Finnick bends down to retrieve his trident. They eye each other warily before another mandrill joins them, Finnick brandishing his trident to ward them off. Both groups seem to be waiting for someone to make the first move, their bodies tensed and waiting for an imminent attack.

"Peeta." Katniss calls out in a hushed voice to the boy leaning up against a tree.

"Yeah?" He responds immediately, looking up at the girl while remaining oblivious to the dangers gathering around him.

"Walk over here slowly." Katniss instructs carefully, focused solely on the mutt peeking out of the trees. Peeta senses the urgency in her voice, turning his head to follow her gaze only to find himself face to face with a roaring mandrill. Jumping back, he cautiously retreats down the slope, never removing his eyes from the mutt. The mandrills echo their companion's roar, menacing growls filling the air around the four tributes.