𝑺𝒆𝒆 𝒀𝒐𝒖 𝑳𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒓

Dahlia and Alaric finish up their final secret training session before the games start the next day

Dahlia and Alaric finish up their final secret training session before the games start the next day. Alaric has given her all the advice he has in his arsenal. He just hopes it's enough to help her through. He doesn't know if he'd be able to survive losing Dahlia. The pair sit on the windowsill looking out over the bright lights of the Capitol. It's a pretty sight, but it's not home for either of them.

"I'm scared, Alaric." Dahlia admits timidly as she hugs her knees to her chest. It's the first time Alaric has seen her for what she truly is, a kid. Dahlia is normally self-assured, confident and strong. Now, she quivers with fear and uncertainty shines in her eyes. A vulnerable girl thrown into an adult's game. "I don't want to die."

Alaric sighs as he stares out the window. "I won't make promises I can't keep. But I know that you can win this. You're the strongest tribute I've ever had. And you've got the support of a nation behind you."

"I don't want to let you down." She sniffles, feeling pathetic for breaking down mere hours before the games start.

Alaric's eyes soften as small tears begin to slip down her cheeks. "Come here." He says softly, opening his arms as Dahlia settles into his embrace. "No matter what happens in that arena, I am proud of you. You have reminded me that I need to keep fighting till the very end." He places his chin on the top of Dahlia's head as he tries to soothe the girl. "I planned for this year to be my end. One last game. One last set of tributes. Then I'd end all the heartbreak, all the pain. Reunite with my family... My daughter."

Dahlia shoots into an upright position. "You were going to...?" She couldn't even bring herself to say the words, but Alaric nodded to confirm her thoughts. She swallows thickly, her throat feeling enclosed and dehydrated. "I didn't know you had a daughter."

Tears flow freely from Alaric's eyes as he remembers his sweet girl. "She would've been a few years older than you if Snow hadn't murdered her along with the rest of my family." Dahlia begins to worry about what might happen to her family if she's not careful. She'd hate for anyone to be punished for something she might have done wrong. "I wanted so desperately to be reunited with her. But she knew it wasn't my time..." He gently cups Dahlia's face with shaky hands. "So she sent you, to remind me that there are some things worth staying alive for." His thumb rubs away the tears on her cheek. "You have saved me more than I could ever save you, Dahlia."

"Nonsense." Dahlia argues back. "You've taught me so much, even though you didn't want to go through this again. I'm stronger now because you've shown me how. I'll try my best not to leave you after everything you've done." She wraps her arms around Alaric's shoulder, hugging him tightly like she'll never let go.

"You need a token." Alaric whispers into her ear before pulling back. "I had something made for you." He fishes around in his pocket until he finally grasps the small object and places it into her hand. It's a dahlia pin, no larger than a coin. Small and discreet but full of meaning.