𝑪𝒖𝒓𝒕𝒂𝒊𝒏 𝑶𝒇 𝑭𝒊𝒓𝒆

Finnick Odair was not known to be a man who waited around for others to sort things out for him

Finnick Odair was not known to be a man who waited around for others to sort things out for him. He was a firm believer that if you wanted something done, you had to do it yourself. Which is precisely why he was less than pleased to be putting his wife's life in the hands of other people while all he could do was sit around and wait... He despised waiting. So he decided to take matters into his own hands.

He had convinced himself he was doing this for the good of the mission, to aid in ridding Panem of its oppressors and fight for a better future, definitely not just so he could make sure his wife was protected. But when opportunity quite literally came knocking at the door, who was he to turn down the chance?

The oblivious Peacekeeper, who had just been doing the rounds and checking the surrounding buildings for any stragglers, was Finnick's unsuspecting victim. When he came tapping at the glass window of Tigris' shop mere seconds after the trio had vacated the building, Finnick sensed that this was a perfect moment to cover their tracks and ensure that Dahlia remained safe.

Before anyone knew it, there was an undressed soldier restrained in Tigris' basement and Finnick Odair was bounding out of the shop clothed in a pristine white Peacekeeper uniform. But if he hadn't been in the right place at the right time, Katniss, Gale and Dahlia would've been discovered before they could move any further. With their new Peacekeeper escort, the trio were able to discreetly bypass the other security officers on the lookout for them, which made Dahlia so overwhelmed with relief that she didn't have the heart to reprimand Finnick for pulling such a reckless stunt.

"You are so lucky I love you, Finn." She had hissed under her breath as Finnick dragged them past another set of Peacekeepers.

The sheer fury evident in her voice made the man gulp nervously and reply with a meek, "Yes, love."

But just when the end seemed almost within reach, a building behind them was hit by shelling and the resulting explosion caused everyone to duck down on the ground for cover. Screams echoed out around them as chaos broke out, Dahlia and Finnick instinctively huddling together to avoid becoming separated by the mob.

"It's the rebels!" One man yelled in absolute terror as the advancing ragtag army of soldiers began to unleash rounds of gunfire upon the defenceless crowd.

Peacekeepers were being targeted all around them and Dahlia suddenly became aware of the disguise Finnick had clothed himself in. Struck with horror, she ripped the helmet from his head and threw it to one side, desperately attempting to use her cloack to shield Finnick's blinding white uniform from the view of the rebels. Who knew they'd be under attack from their own side?

The Capitol soldiers returned fire, trying their best to dig in and defend the city against the oncoming swarm of troops. But another explosion from the building where some Peacekeepers had found cover signalled that they were extremely overwhelmed by the rebel forces.

"Mama!" A young girl's voice cried out, making Dahlia and Katniss turn to find the child that had spotted them earlier. She was sobbing over the body of her mother, a feeling that was all too familiar to Dahlia. Though to witness and fear death at such a young age was something that every child in the districts could relate to. "Mama!"