Chapter 19

"Don't pack too much," Iggy said, from Jenn's bed. She was in her closet trying to find her shorts.

"It's gonna be hot, right? I mean it is summer. But then it might get colder at night..." Jenn rambled on to herself, ignoring Iggy. "I've never been to Arizona before. That's where we're going right? I've always wondered what it was like. I hear the area around Phoenix is so dried up because they're constantly pumping water into the city to keep it green. It's like one big oasis in the middle of the desert. I really love that band, you know? Oasis. I wonder how they came up with the band name. Maybe they just liked the word. I mean it is fun to say. Oasis. It just occurred to me that Oasis is like an oasis in the music world. Or they were. They're not together anymore. How unfortunate, though. I do love them so much."

Iggy walked in and hugged Jenn from behind, shutting her up. "Sometimes I swear you're worse than Nudge with your talking," he said, laughing. He kissed her neck and said, "You don't need too many clothes. Just pick out like three shirts and some underwear. You can wear the same pants the entire week."

"Can I bring my swimsuit, too?"

"Of course. Just remember that I have to carry both you and whatever we bring so don't make it too heavy. Please?"

"Right," Jenn laughed nervously. "Sorry."

*

Finally they were ready to take off. Just before the sun rose the next morning, Iggy and Jenn climbed up to the roof of Iggy's apartment complex.

"How much did you say you weighed?" He asked, strapping on the backpack.

"Um, about a buck 20, I think," she said, peering over the edge of the building. She shuddered, but not because she was cold; she was dressed in Iggy's sweatshirt and a few layers of warm clothing.

"You ready?" He asked her, grinning.

"Uh... yeah..." she slowly walked towards him and took his hand.

"Okay it's going to be a bit scary at first but you have to trust me."

"It's like the ultimate trust exercise," Jenn laughed timidly.

"Do you trust me?"

Jenn nodded but then remembered he couldn't see her, "With all my being."

"Alright. So what I'm going to do is pick you up and then take off by jumping off the building."

"Wait! Y-You're going to what?!" Jenn exclaimed, but Iggy ignored her. "Have you done this before?"

"Nope! Are you ready?" He asked.

"Not really, no! What do you mean you've never done this before!?"

Iggy ignored her cries and picked her up. Next thing Jenn knew, they were falling and she was terrified. She hid her face in Iggy's shoulder and tried not to scream or cry. Suddenly they were jerked up. She slowly pulled away to see Iggy's beautiful wings carrying them both as he soared through the air. There was a big smile on his face and she kissed his cheek.

"Told you I trusted you," she snickered. "I didn't even scream."

Iggy only chuckled and rolled his eyes.