Chapter 23

Amma's POV
{Sunday}
After Jacob had indirectly admitted his feelings for me, we haven't really gotten the chance to meet up and talk, it was kind of awkward between us, I couldn't really talk to him this past week, just hi's, bye's and texts, so today I was going to meet him at the park while he took his dog for a walk.
*******************
We both take a seat at the bench, as he releases the dog leash on his Labrador retriever who goes off chasing a butterfly. I didn't think I was  ready to reject Jacob especially when I had a crush on the same boy he did not get along with, hell even I didn't really get along with Ashton.

"Amma, I really don't want to pressure you, and I never meant to tell you like that, it's just..." he pauses and sighs, "I know, but when did this start?" I ask, "when did what start?" he asks me with a confused expression, "when did...how did you develop a crush on me?"

"it's probably when I first met you at that party, you looked so pretty and had this calm aura about you" he says and I could feel my cheeks heat up at his compliment. He sighs again before continuing, "when you came to visit me at the hospital, it made me feel warm inside because only Nancy and my Aunt truly cared after my parents passed away".

"I'm not trying to use my parents death to pressure you, I just really like you that's all" he finishes and I suddenly felt guilty, I did not want to hurt this cute boy sitting next to me, life had already hurt him enough.

Ugh, I hate making decisions like this but...i don't want to lead him on, "Jacob...i..." I began not even knowing what to say, i did not want to hurt him in a polite or gentle way, it always hurt nevertheless.

"you don't have to give me a reply now, Amma, just take your time"

"Jacob, you are an amazing friend, person and guy, and you know I was always happy to get to know and become friends with you, it may take a while before I give a reply, but I need to come to terms with my feelings first, then we'll have this talk again?" I ask with a smile, I mean there was a high chance of it not working out with Ashton at the end right?

"of course Amma" he replies with his signature dimpled smile, "I like your dimples" I blurted out and slam a hand over my mouth he chuckles before saying "thanks, I like your eyes too, why don't we go get something to drink?", and I nod.

{Monday}
The history teacher walks into the classroom and as usual hits the table loudly for everyone to get settled down, "who do you think you are gonna be partnered with?" Ash whispers, "I don't know, I hope it's a nice guy though" I reply.

"I'm going to call out everyone's name and partner who you will discuss the project with so listen attentively... Varga and Parker, Almen and Richardson, Verma and Croft, Walter's and Baldwin......Cara and Matt, Watterson and Lawson, and finally Valquez and Rockhart".

"I want each group to discuss a part, any part of the American history extensively is that clear?" he says and groans were heard while I was to focused on thinking about the worse that could happen with Ashton as my partner.

"silence! There would be no change of partners and your work should be handed over in two weeks" he concludes and goes out of the class as the bell rings.

This cannot be happening, Ashton and I cannot work as a team, not when he has been ignoring my existence for the past week, he wasn't even in class at the moment neither was Luke, "Ash, I don't think Ashton would want me as his partner"

"why not, you are pretty smart, don't worry it'll be fine ok, let's go to our next class"

"maybe I should be prepared to do all the work alone" I say to her, I did not mind doing the project alone even though it was a bit much.

[Cafeteria]

"so who are your partners for the history project?" Vaeh asks Ash and I as soon as we were settled on the table, "I was paired with Theo from Science class" Ash says, "what about you Amma?"

"I was paired with Ashton"

"ooh, how does he feel about it?"

"I don't know, he wasn't in class"

"how do you feel about it?"

"I was thinking I should probably just do it myself"

"I think that's a bad idea, firstly, the work is too much, you'll tire yourself out, secondly its 30% of our grade in senior year so you have to inform him" Ash says, she is right, I cant do all the work myself and no one would want to lose 30% of their grade. *****************************
"Ashton!" I call as he is about to get into his car, I stop in front of him and try to catch my breath from jogging the distance, oh how I loved to run, sarcasm included.

"what do you want?" he asks his voice seeming impatient, I take one last breath before standing straight and tucking a loose strand of hair behind my ear, "you were paired up with me for a project" I say looking at his green orbs.

"which subject?"

"History, you weren't in class so I thought I should tell you", he scowls and then looks at me with a weird expression, trust me I don't want to work with you either, "forget it, change partners, I'm not working with you"

"Mr. Johnson said there would be no changing of partners"

"whatever" he says and was about to get into his car but I quickly hold his arm, he stiffens at the touch, "wait we have to set up a day to meet and work on it" I say, as his eyes travel to where my hand was touching him and I quickly remove it.

"why don't we meet up at my house on Saturday?"

He thinks before suddenly smirking and saying, "sure, be prepared to work on our project, Amma" and getting into his car and driving off leaving me to wonder the cause of the sudden change in his mood.

I see you eyein' me down, but you'll never know much past my name,             
Or how I'm runnin' this room around and that I'm still half your age
Yeah, you're loo-(loo-loo-) lookin' at me like I'm some sweet escape
Obvious that you want me, but I said

I would want myself
Baby please believe me
I'll put you through hell
Just to know me yeah, yeah
So sure of yourself
Baby, don't get greedy
That shit won't end well
Ooh end well✨