Chapter 10

(MONDAY)

Amma's POV
"girl, you look sick, what's wrong?" Ash asks me looking at my messy bun and pale lips "I'm fine" not wanting to worry them, "Amma, you clearly are not, so don't lie to us" Nevaeh says, "I had gotten a fever on Saturday and I didn't even know how, mom had taken me to the doctor's and I got some medicines, but I still felt weak and had a light headache, I forgot to use my medication this morning so I didn't bring it to school, I'll be fine" I say bringing out my note for the first subject, "You should go see the nurse" Ashwyra says collecting my notes, "yeah, we can tell the teacher where you went and carry your books to class" Vaeh adds as the bell rings and I decided to listen to them cos I thought I might just faint without using my meds.

"Thank you" I say as we part ways and I headed to the nurse's office.

"Good morning, Mrs. Calloway" I greet the blonde haired woman as I entered her office, "Good morning, Amma, how may I help you today?" she says with a warm smile, I had been here so much, she knows my name and was almost like a friend to me, "I forgot my medications at home, I recently treated fever ma'am"

"Amma what did I tell you about medications?"

"that I need to take them at the prescribed time, I know, it's just that I was in a rush this morning"

"take a seat, while I get them", I do as she says and she comes back later with the O-T-C prescriptions and a glass of water, "here you go"

"thank you" I say and use the meds.

I branch to the restroom after leaving Mrs. Calloway's office, I did my business, washed my hands and face before leaving.

On my way back to class, I see Ashton making out with a random girl, the dude doesn't even attend classes, I'm a little surprised it's not Christiana again though.

I decided to sneak past them but to no avail as he already spotted me, he kisses the girl deeply while looking at me, freak I thought rolling my eyes, he breaks the kiss and the girl looks sad, he whispers something in her ear which makes her cheeks turn pink and she turns around to leave.

"I'm not in the mood for your troubles today Ashton" I say as he walks closer to me, "you were the one spying on me now"

"spying? I was on my way to class"

"you have to tiptoe your way to class?" he asks with a raised eyebrow

"that's because I was trying to avoid you"

"and why is that?"

"because..." I trail off not even knowing why I tried to avoid him, it's like whenever I see him my brain just tells me to go the other way, it was kinda like a reflex.

By the time I raise my head, he was really close to me and I stumble back a bit, hitting my back on the wall.

"it hurts to think that you want to avoid me" he says putting a hand on his chest in mock hurt, "I still haven't gotten my revenge y'know, so you better watch your back, Watterson" he says and walks away, him saying my name like that made me feel weird inside.
*************
Ashwyra's POV
Ayden had been behaving different, like Wednesday evening after school I had followed Amma home, her parents were on a business trip, I had greeted Ayden by waving 'hi', but he just goes up to his room without replying.

We had sat down on the couch and decided to watch nextflix, in the middle of the movie Ayden had come downstairs to join us saying he was bored so we continued the movie together. About an hour into the movie, Amma said she wanted to use the restroom but I knew she didn't mean it cos she had sensed the awkwardness between us and wanted us to converse.

I pleaded with her using my eyes but she already got up, I did try having conversations with him but he just gave short answers and kept quiet, so I left him alone. A while later, Amma returns so I told her I wanted to go home.

After that I didn't try talking to him.

Jacob's POV
"He is gonna be okay, right?" I hear Nancy's voice, "of course, he is gonna be up very soon" another lady says.

I open my eyes to see my sister, Nancy and a nurse discussing, I look around and realized I was in the hospital as there was a strong smell of antiseptic everywhere, "ughh, my head" I groan as I try to sit up, "oh Jacob, you are awake" Nancy says.

"how do you feel young man?" the nurse asks, "my head hurts"

"that's probably an after effect from the medicine injected into your body while you were asleep/ unconscious, I'll go give the doctor some updates on your health" she says and leaves the room.

"what happened?" Nancy asks me

"I can't really remember much, all I remember was Amma and I talking at the party and then..." I trail off not wanting to continue

"you were out for four days, you shouldn't have snuck out"

"you know?"

"yes, Aunt Friscia got a call from your school that night they reported that you snuck out to the party, you could have not accepted my invite of you were not allowed out of school"

"I'm sorry, that place has too much pressure, it felt like I was confined, I needed some air" I say looking into her worried eyes, "what hospital are we?"

"you are at the green hut hospital for teens"

"what about Aunt Friscia?"

"she stood with you for two days before going back home"

"Oh ok"

"also a girl and her friend came to check on you, I think her name was Amma too"

"what color was her eyes?"

"kinda like blue and hazel, and the other had grey eyes"

"that's Amma, she has beautiful eyes" I say smiling a bit

"oooh, my lil bro has a crush" she says wiggling her eyebrows

"I don't have a crush on anyone ,ok"

"then why are turning red?" she teases again

"no one is turning red, even if I am its probably just the medicine", " are you sure cos that was--" she was cut off by her phone ringing, the nurse also comes in at that moment and tells her she has to see the doctor, Nancy mouths an 'I'll be back' to me, and I give her a nod.

I sigh when they close the door behind them, I regret lying to Nancy about not remembering anything when I actually remember what happened, a random drunk had kicked me into the pool, although I wasn't able to see his face cos the water got into my eye, but I do remember hearing Amma shout.

I did not tell Nancy since she already had a lot on her plate and I didn't want her to be more worried than she already was.