GRIDLOCK

In the Tardis, Martha and I sit while the Doctor flips a few levers

"Just one trip. 'S'what I said. One trip, in the Tardis, and then home. Although, I suppose we could, stretch the definition. Try one trip to the past, one trip to the future. How do you fancy that?"

Martha looks at me in glee, standing up, "No complaints from me!"
"How about a different planet?"

"Can we go to yours?"

I wince, shaking my head at her.
"Ahh, there's plenty of other places!"

"Come on, though! I mean, Planet of the Time Lords, that's got to be worth a look! What's it like?"

"Well, it's beautiful, yeah."
"Is it like, you know, outer space cities, all spires, and stuff?"

"Suppose it is."
"Great big temples and cathedrals!"

Martha is still oblivious so i step in, "How 'bout New Earth?" I ask, the Doctor sending me a grateful look.

The Doctor begins to dance around the main console, tweaking settings as he goes, "This is much better. Year five billion and fify-three, planet New Earth! Second hope of mankind! Fifty thousand light years from your old world, and we're slap bang in the middle of New New York. Although–"

I cut him off, "It's technically the fifteenth New York from the original, so it's New New New New New New New New New New New New New New New York. one of the most dazzling cities ever built."

He smiles at me, "You remembered."
"Kinda hard not to." I laugh.

"The Doctor throws on his overcoat, and walks into a pouring rain shower.
Martha scowls and hurriedly zips up her jacket, "Oh, that's nice! Time Lord version of dazzling."
"Bit of rain never hurt anyone." I grin at them, stepping into the rain, no coat or jacket covering my body.

The Doctor shakes his head at me, taking his overcoat off and wrapping it around me.

I raise my brows at him.

"Not human, different immune system." He grins, pecking me on the forehead before walking off.

"Well, it looks like the same old Earth to me. On a Wednesday afternoon." Martha says.
"Hold on, hold on. Let's have a look." He walks over to a dead screen on the wall.

Static appears, the Doctor bangs on the top of the screen, and a woman appears on the screen, a traffic report playing, "The driver should be clear and easy, with fifteen extra lanes open for the New New Jersey expressway."

The image on the screen shifts to reveal the New New York above ground, a gorgeous spired city on the coast of a large river, with sleek flying vehicles zooming in the air.

"Oh, that's more like it! That's the New we had last time. This must be the lower levels. Down in the base of the tower, some sort of under-city."

"You've brought us to the slums?"