UTOPIA

We watch the console.

"Cardiff."
"Cardiff?" Martha asks.
"Cardiff is built on a rift in time and space. Just like California and the San Andreas Fault. The rift bleeds energy. Every now and then the Doctor opens up the engines and soaks up the energy. It's fuel." I explain.

"So it's a pit stop." She realizes.

"Exactly."
"Wait a minute. They had an earthquake in Cardiff, a couple of years ago. Was that you?" She asks.

He winces, "Bit of trouble with the Slitheen. Long time ago. Lifetimes. I was a different man back then. Just ask Abby."
"Can confirm, big ears, buzz cut, and an affinity for leather jackets." I grin at him.

"My ears weren't that big!" He protests, glancing at the monitor.

A look of panic appears on his face and he starts the Tardis.

The console sparks and we get thrown to the floor.
"What's that?" I ask.
"We're accelerating into the future. The year one billion. Five billion. Five trillion. Fifty trillion." He watches the numbers go up, "What? The year one hundred trillion. That's impossible!"

"Why? What happens then?" Martha asks.

"We're going to the end of the universe."

The Tardis lands with a thud.

"Well, we've landed."

"So what's out there?" I ask.
"I don't know."
"Say that again. That's rare." Martha says.

"Not even the Time Lords came this far. We should leave. We should go. We should really, really... go." He looks at us and grins widely before heading for the door, "Outside is a bleak landscape."

We step out.

Martha notices something, "Oh my God!" She taps the Doctor's arm before rushing away.

I turn to look, "Oh, shit!"
"Can't get a pulse. Hold on, you've got that medical kit thing." Martha jumps up and runs back into the Tardis.

I stare at Jack.

"Hello again." The Doctor saunters over, "Oh, I'm sorry."

Martha rushes back out, "Here we go. Out of the way." She shoves the Doctor, "It's a bit odd, though. Not very one hundred trillion, that coat's more like World War II."

"I think he came with us."
"How'd you mean? From Earth?"

"Must've been clinging to the outside of the Tardis all the way through the vortex."
I shake myself out of shock, "Very him."
"What? You two know him?" She asks.

"Friend of ours. Used to travel with us. Back in the old days." He nods.

"But he's, I'm sorry, there's no heartbeat. There's nothing. He's dead."

Jack gasps, coming back to life, grabbing Martha, who screams.

"Oh well, so much for me. It's all right. Just breathe deep. I've got you now."

Jack looks Martha up and down, "Captain Jack Harkness. And who are you?"

"Martha Jones."
"Nice to meet you, Martha Jones."
"Oh, don't start!" The Doctor says.

"I was just saying hello."
"I don't mind." Martha smiles before helping Jack to his feet.
Jack and the Doctor stare at each other coldly.
"Doctor."
"Captain."
"Good to see you."
"And you. Same as ever... although... have you have work done?" The Doctor asks.

"You can talk!"
"Oh yes, the face. Regeneration. How did you know this was me?"

"The police box kinda gives it away. I've been following you for a long time. You abandoned me."