Season 2 - Episode 11: City Living

Slate and April shared a knowing glance. Joseph Quinn, the man they were looking for was missing. Had he gone into hiding like Professor Larch? Or had Team Shade already got to him?

"So," the man named Looker started, "what business might two young people such as yourselves have with Mr. Quinn?"

Slate and April looked at each other again, surely both wondering whether they could trust this man.

"You're with the International Police?" April asked him.

"You're not from Nutera?" Slate added, reasoning that it would be less likely for an outsider to be in league with Team Shade.

His curiosity obviously piqued by the guarded teens' questions, Looker answered honestly, "I'm not from Nutera, no. I go where I think the International Police are needed."

"And you think they're needed here?" asked April.

"Oh, I'd say so, yes," Looker affirmed. "But I have to gather evidence to convince my superiors of that. Perhaps the two of you can help with that?"

Slate and April silently locked eyes once more.

"Cards on the table," Looker offered. "I'm investigating a criminal organization operating in Nutera. I believe this organization may have kidnapped Mr. Quinn. I've been reviewing his files but haven't discovered any leads. If you know anything, it could be very important."

"We thought Mr. Quinn might have some information for us," April admitted.

Then, Slate clarified, "Information on Team Shade."

The man raised an eyebrow with intrigue and leaned back in his chair. "It seems our interests align," he said.

"Do you know about the missing people?" April asked.

Looker nodded. "I suspect Team Shade is responsible, but between the victims' memory loss and the unusually limited reports from the Nuteran police, compiling information has been difficult."

Slate revealed, "My mother was one of the victims. She worked with Mr. Quinn. We think she was targeted because she was investigating Team Shade."

Looker lowered his head solemnly. "I'm very sorry to hear that. Your mother wouldn't happen to be Heather Davy, would she?"

"How did you know?" Slate asked in surprise.

"A hunch, for the most part," shrugged Looker. "The Chronicle's editor has informed me of several employees who have had to make flexible working adjustments since the disappearances, and your mother was hired for her investigative savvy. You also strike a resemblance to her employee file photo."

April seemed impressed with the man's deductive reasoning.

"Please, help me get the people that did this to your mother and the other victims," Looker implored, pulling a small notebook from his inner pocket. "Help me prevent what they're planning. Tell me everything you know, starting with your names."

Deciding to put their trust in the officer, Slate and April introduced themselves and relayed what they knew. Slate started with the sudden move to Nutera, the night he and his mother had arrived and her subsequent kidnap, the chase, and meeting April. She then loosely detailed how her family had been forced to go into hiding, and how she had been too late to warn the Davys of the danger.

They then recounted rescuing Bella at the Almony Gym, Heather Davy's sudden reappearance and the discovery of her condition, the mission to speak with Joseph Quinn, and finally, the recent showdown at Pyne Farm. When they finished, Looker closed his eyes, apparently reflecting on everything he had been told.