Season 1 - Episode 01: Clean Slate

NOTICE: Welcome to Pokémon Slate Gray by @TEZofAllTrades on Wattpad.com! If you're reading this message on another website, my work has been reproduced without permission. Please support the original on Wattpad.

Bulbasaur, Charmander or Squirtle? It was the question that had plagued Slate Davy's thoughts for years now, ever since he had first heard of the Pokémon League Trainer Initiative as a child, and watched his older brother, Jet, set out on his Poké...

Bulbasaur, Charmander or Squirtle? It was the question that had plagued Slate Davy's thoughts for years now, ever since he had first heard of the Pokémon League Trainer Initiative as a child, and watched his older brother, Jet, set out on his Pokémon journey.

Jet had been gifted an official Pokémon League Deluxe Starter Set, which included one of three starter Pokémon. He had chosen the Fire-Type, Charmander, as his partner Pokémon, so Slate had been leaning towards choosing the Water-Type, Squirtle, for its elemental advantage in battle. Even so, Slate hadn't been able to decide for sure which of the three Pokémon he would choose to start his adventure with.

The problem now was, Slate and his mother were moving, and not just to a new city. They were leaving Kanto altogether and sailing to a different region. His mother, Heather Davy, was an investigative journalist. She had recently received a call from an old friend in the Nutera region, then just two weeks later, she announced that she had accepted a new job there and that they would be moving. It was all very sudden.

Slate had not been happy about the news. At sixteen years old, he had already waited long enough to begin his Pokémon journey. His mother had insisted that he finish school first, and he had done so on the condition that he receive a Deluxe Starter Set as his brother had. After finally graduating from Pewter City High, Slate had been ready to register for the Pokémon League and claim his prize.

However, now that he was moving to Nutera, he wasn't sure if it was still a good idea. He knew nothing about the Nutera region or the Pokémon that inhabited it. He didn't even know what starter Pokémon were available to new Trainers there. It surely wouldn't be the three he had been obsessing over for so long—and he never had been able to settle on one of those.

Slate stared out across the sparkling water from the deck of the S.S. Anne, tracking a flock of unfamiliar bird Pokémon. The crisp sea air blew through his medium-length dark hair as he contemplated his situation. The journey by luxury cruise liner had been a mini vacation of sorts. It had been a fun couple of days, but they would be arriving at their destination soon, and Slate was feeling nervous about starting over alone in Nutera.

He wasn't sure why, though. Even if he had remained in Kanto, it was expected for new Pokémon Trainers to venture out by themselves and leave their friends behind—not that he had many of those to speak of. Something of an introvert, friends had never come easily to Slate, not close ones anyway. Slate didn't dislike people, nor did he have any big problems communicating with them. He simply preferred the company of Pokémon where possible.

Unfortunately, the only Pokémon he got to interact with were those of his brother when he was home or the occasional wild visitors to the garden, other than Eevee, of course. While the adorable, brown-furred creature in his arms had always been closest to Slate, he technically belonged to his mother. They would always be friends, but the chance to forge new bonds with Pokémon of his own was what motivated Slate to become a Trainer. That, and his fascination with Pokémon battling.