09|one for the road.

some out of tune guitar
soundtrack to disaster
☆☆☆

'You're actually such an idiot.' Josh told Eli.

'I know!' He exclaimed, frustrated with himself as he tossed himself down on the couch.

Eli hadn't stopped thinking about last night. He didn't mean to make out that Martha meant nothing to him, because it was far from the truth. He thought of her almost everyday, overthinking every moment they shared and what things would be like if they were to go further than just that kiss.

None of that mattered anymore though, not after he failed at talking to her, then stupidly told her it didn't matter to him. He has only just got her back as a friend, and he valued her friendship more than anything, now it feels like he's ruined it again.

For Elijah, he's never met somebody who feels so similar to him, yet different at the same time. With Martha, it was like she knew him like the back of her hand already, and he felt that way about her. They skipped the awkward beginning of their friendship, and he had never felt so seen in his life. He didn't want to lose that, not over some stupid comment he made half cut.

Elijahhewson
What are you doing today?

Marthahendrixxx
I'm gonna head to the
studio probs, why

Elijahhewson
D'ya wanna grab a coffee
or something?
I'm sorry about last night

Marthahendrixxx
2 o'clock?

Elijahhewson
Date.
You know what I mean
Sorry
That was weird

Marthhendrixxx
There's a leaf and bean near
the studio
Weirdo

Elijahhewson
Cool see you there, and shut up you

By the time 2 rolled around Eli had spent the last hour nagging at Josh, trying to ask for advice yet knowing damn well he wouldn't take any of it. Josh went off to see Kyra in the end, leaving him to figure it all out on his own. He wasn't that nervous, he just didn't know whether Martha would be mad at him or not, if she was, he understood completely.

He grabbed his coat and headed out the door, rushing to the coffee shop she suggested in the hopes he didn't show up late and end up leaving her yet again disappointed. Luckily he was on time though, she was walking down the street in his direction, hands in pockets with her headphones in.

She greeted him with a smile, a friendly one that didn't feel hostile like he anticipated she would be. Maybe that was his fault for assuming the worst all the time, especially of someone who in his mind, is the definition of a ray of sunshine.

When she fought with her phone case to get her bank card out to pay for her latte, Eli held his phone to the card machine only for her to sign at him, asking why he did that when he was just trying to make up for the countless times he's let her down recently. Despite her fighting to try and transfer him money, they eventually made it out the coffee shop with their take out coffees and began their little wander through the streets of London.

'I should apologise about last night, sorry for being a knob.' Eli said to her.

'It's alright, I'm bad at taking things to heart, especially after a drink.' She chuckled. 'It' fine, honest.'

'And I'm sorry again about not talking to you while I was home.' He sighed, 'I get so... in my head about stuff sometimes.'

'Yeah?' Martha looked over at him, confused yet also as if she understood at the same time. To some extent, she knew exactly what he meant.