Mission

Anya sprinted on the sidewalk, trying to lose the guys chasing her.

She was on a mission to retrieve Donovan's official file. It was supposed to be in the records of the state but it somehow fell into the hands of a businessman who steals personal records and sells them to make money.

She was currently being chased by the guards of the man.

It would attract attention if she ran for her life in a place full of civilians but she was too occupied to care about that.

She had managed to get the file after breaking into a high security vault but accidentally triggered an alarm.

The file wasn't too thick. It wasn't surprising considering how private and secretive Donovan was but it should have everything they need.

She rounded a corner and pulled off her wig, stuffing it inside her jacket.

She hurriedly took her coat off and threw it in the dumpster of an alley.

She put a cover on the file to make it look like a textbook and hugged it close to her chest, making sure it was secure in her hands.

The guys chasing her ran past her, frantically searching for her.

Anya smirked and crossed the street, looking forward to never seeing those guys again.

__________

Anya sat in Handler's office, looking through the file.

It didn't have much information other than his personal ones but it was still helpful.

"I can't find much. Can you send it to the analyzing department?" She handed the folder to Handler and leaned back on the chair.

"Good job Starlight." She placed the folder on the table and sat.

"How are things with the Desmond son?"

"It's going well. He hasn't revealed much but I know that there will be a party that Donovan will host in about a month." Anya informed, her face turning serious.

"Noted. Thank you, Starlight. You may leave." Handler gestured to the door with a smile.

Anya nodded and walked out, releasing a sigh.

She was beyond exhausted. She hasn't seen Damian or Becky in days. She would always run off after school and hide in a room during lunch to manage her missions.

She had missed having company.

She didn't even talk to her parents as she was too busy.

She quickly left headquarters, finding the air there too suffocating.

___________

When Anya got home, no one was there except for Bond. She figured her parents were at work.

"Hi Bond." She sighs, crouching down to pet him.

His tail wagged at the contact.

"I'm sorry I didn't pay attention to you." She apologized and hugged the white dog, petting him at the same time.

Bond whined and nuzzled her neck, tickling Anya.

"I always wanted to be a spy you know. But it isn't as cool as I thought it was." Anya mumbled, switching positions to be more comfortable.

"It's tiring. It's overwhelming. It's stressful. It seemed like a cool job but I just don't want it now." She looked down.

She wanted to quit.

But she pestered her dad and Handler for months to get that job. She can't just give up because it got too hard.

She made a promise to them.

She promised them that she would complete Operation Strix with her dad.

She was doing it alone now, however. So naturally, things got a bit too hard to handle.

But she couldn't quit. Not yet.

Her dad was counting on her to finisht the mission for him. She can't disappoint him or Handler.

She can't break her promise.

"But, I can't leave."

She so desperately wanted to. But no. She shouldn't give in. She can't.

____________

Anya sat at a bench in the park, looking up at the orange sky.

She enjoyed the cool breeze and the late afternoon silence.

Bond was sitting on the ground by her leg.

She left the house because she wanted some air but she didn't want to be alone so she brought Bond with her.

He's been very good.

He didn't run around and didn't insist for her to walk him. He must've sensed her emotions.

"Are you alright?" She looked down at him.

He whined and rubbed his neck against her leg, enjoying the contact.

Anya smiled a little and bent over to pet him.

"I'm sorry I haven't been spending time with you lately." She sighed as the dog stood on two feet and placed the other two on her lap.

She scratched his neck and cupped his head.

"I've just been so busy with work and school that I didn't have much time to do anything else."

"Borf."

Anya chuckled, moving down to rub his paws.

"Forger."

She quickly turned her head around and saw Damian behind her with his dog.

"Ah, Damian. Hi." She smiled shyly.

He went around the bench and sat on the spot next to her.

"Is that your dog?" She asks, pointing to the brown animal staring at Bond.

"Yeah. His name is Max."

"And that's Bond?" He gestured to the white dog hiding behind Anya's leg.

"Yes. That's him." Anya giggled at Bond's attempt to hide. She rubbed his head to try and soothe him.

"Come on, Bond. Max is a good boy. Don't be scared." Anya encouraged.

As if to prove her wrong, he jumped out and stood in front of Max, growling and showing his sharp teeth.

"Oh, no. I meant play with him. Not fight him."

Bond hid behind her leg once more, seemingly glaring at Max.

"I'm sorry. He's not very friendly around people he doesn't know. But he'll come around." Anya assured.

"And I'm sure this big guy is a good boy." Anya rubs Max's head.

"He is."

"Hey how about we meet with our dogs sometimes? Bond could warm up to me and him." Damian suggested, smiling slightly.

"Yeah, that's a great idea."

_____________

A/N: hella rushed so ending might not be good. I tried to focus this chapter mostly on Anya and Bond. I haven't given them much screen time and I thought it would be nice to show how deep their bond actually is (no pun intended). This book is no longer on hiatus but the updates will be slow cus I'm working on another book my friends made me do🙄