Progress

As the car drove, the two sat in silence, not really knowing what to say to each other.

After her little breakdown, Damian had offered to take her home. She agreed but it may have been a mistake.

The tension was so thick you could cut it with a knife.

They refused to say anything in fear of upsetting the other, which created such a tense atmosphere.

The silence continued until they eventually reached her building.

She stepped out of the car and he followed, wanting to say at least one sentence to her.

They didn't say anything at first. They just stared.

"Thank you, for today. I'm sorry if I was a bother." Anya was the first to speak, breaking the awkward tension.

Damian gave her a weird look before answering. Why would she be a bother?

"Uh, no, it's fine. I wasn't busy. You didn't bother." He assured with a small smile.

"You can forget about this if you want. It's kind of embarassing so I hope you don't tell anyone." She glared playfully.

"I won't. I promise." He replied, chuckling.

Her eyes travelled down until it reached the wet spot on the sleeve of his jacket.

'Huh?! It hasn't dried?!'

She thought in bewilderment. Did she cry that much?

"Sorry about your jacket. I can wash it for you if you want." She tried to reach for it but he grabbed her wrists, stopping her.

"No, it's fine. I can get it washed myself."

"A-are you sure?" She asked, eyes gleaming with uncertainty.

When he gave a firm nod, she stood straight and backed away to give him some space.

"W-well, thank you. Chi-Chi is going to be mad so I have to go up."

"Alright. I'll see you at school tomorrow. Don't hesitate to call me if you need something." He says after clearing his throat.

When Anya promised to do so, he felt like it was okay to go back now.

He turned around and lifted a hand, silently telling her that he will go.

"Arigato, Damian. I'll see you tomorrow!" She waved happily as he entered the car.

The vehicle drove off after a few seconds, leaving Anya standing outside in the cold night air.

She just wanted a moment to get herself together before walking through her front door.

×××××××

"I don't know what to say Starlight." Handler said, sighing for the hundredth time.

"Please don't take me out. I got it under control so far but I promise I will work on it." Anya pleaded.

She couldn't lose her job. It was too important to her.

They could toss her once the mission is finished but she can't get fired right now.

All the work she has done in a decade would be for nothing. The mission is practically her life's work.

"I trust you Starlight. I know you can handle this yourself, but this is an issue I need to take to the higher ups. They will decide if you are still fit for the job."

There was a pause.

"But I warn you, whatever they decide, it's out of my control. I can't help you out with that." Handler warned, giving Anya a glare.

"Yes I know. But know that we're making good progress. I got closer to Damian and it won't be long before he trusts me enough to get information."

She replied coldly.

She felt bad for talking about him like he's an object but she couldn't show much feelings. She would have been dead if she showed her admiration for him.

He was supposed to be the key to their mission. She can't get caught being grateful and sincere to him during work.

Handler was surprised. Anya had talked about the Desmond so coldly. There wasn't a single thought behind her eyes. It was almost as if she only thought of him as a pawn.

She was great at masking emotions. She was as great at it as Twilight and Nightfall.

But Handler knows. She knows that the girl is feeling grateful for him.

She knows that she has a good relationship with him and the whole thing was sincere.

And she knows that it won't be long before they get closer and fall in love.

She's seen the two of them together outside of school. They acted like two people in love.

They might not have realized it yet but they will in time.

She was sure.

Handler had no problem with it. It was Anya's life. She had no right to interfere.

Her only worry is that Anya will get distracted. He would become her weakness. And if enemies find out, it will put the Desmond in danger.

She hopes that Anya will be careful.

×××××××

Hello! I had some free time today so I decided to finish this. It's kinda short cus I don't know what else to add. I might be able to post again tomorrow and the day after that but I'm not sure. There wouldn't be much updates starting Monday cus I have my finals. That's all! See you!