CHAPTER 16

Evelyn's POV

As the car sped toward the airport, Mia and I exchanged excited glances as today marks the beginning of a trip meticulously planned by Alexandro. A week had passed since our last encounter at the mall, and a palpable silence had settled since then. No contact from him left me wondering if he had perceived my lack of interest. Strangely, a mixture of sadness and unease enveloped me at this realization, despite acknowledging it might be for the best. However, an underlying sense of foreboding lingers – as if this is the calm preceding a storm, hinting at impending events. Throughout the past week, I've sensed a watchful gaze, and I am convinced it is either Alexandro or his vigilant bodyguard keeping an eye on me.

Upon arriving at the airport, we found ourselves in front of Alexandro's private plane. Boarding the plane, my shock peaked when I learned that Alexandro was already awaiting us at the destination and would not be traveling with us. This revelation struck me as particularly strange.

As the plane soared through the sky, Mia, Romanio, and I created an atmosphere of relaxation and joy. Romanio, in stark contrast to Alexandro, proved to be a calm and kind companion. He shared his thoughts, considering me a little sister and expressing genuine care. The warmth of his words eased my unease, fostering a newfound connection. Laughter echoed through the plane, a stark contrast to the tension that seemed to follow Alexandro. In his absence, we found joy, with Mia leading the charge in defying the somber atmosphere that often accompanied Alexandro.

The destination revealed itself—a private island of unparalleled beauty. A luxurious car whisked us away to a stunning villa that left my heart pounding with anticipation. The air was thick with the expectation of encountering Alexandro, unraveling the mysteries that surrounded him.

The interior of the villa matched the splendor of its exterior. A maid guided us to our respective rooms, revealing that most remained closed unless Mia's family visited for vacations or celebrations. Romanio and Mia occupied rooms on one floor, while mine was on the floor above.

As Mia suggested heading to the beach, I went to my room, captivated by the breathtaking view of the sea from the window – my first real encounter with the vastness of the ocean. Amidst this beauty, thoughts of Alexandro crept in. Where was he? Why hadn't he joined us yet? A feeling of walking on glass enveloped me in his presence. Reminding myself to relax, I wanted to savor the vacation with Mia, leaving the mysteries of Alexandro for another time.

Entering my room, I discovered its grandeur with a central bed and a bathroom featuring a sizable bathtub. Yet, a mysterious closed door intrigued me. Unable to open it, I decided to seek clarification from the maid later.

The sun painted the sky in hues of pink and orange as Mia, Romanio, and I reveled in the beauty of the beach. Clad in a beautiful black bikini, I embraced the warmth of the sun and the company of my friends. The ocean beckoned, and we splashed into the waves, laughter mingling with the sound of the surf.

After our aquatic adventures, I retreated to the beach, applying sunscreen before settling into the soft sand for a moment of sun-soaked bliss. The rhythmic lull of the waves provided the perfect soundtrack for relaxation. Yet, as I lay on the beach towel, the tranquility was shattered by the echoes of his words from last week.

"I really love you, and I want to have you in my life forever." The sincerity in his eyes lingered in my mind. Confusion gnawed at me – if he loved me, why the sudden disappearance for a week? Why the silence? Why wasn't he with us on the flight? Where was he now, and more importantly, why couldn't I shake the thoughts of him from my mind? I wanted him to leave me alone, to not take an interest in me, so why did the idea of him not talking to me bother me? I wrestled with these conflicting emotions, questioning my own reactions.