47. Prajakta's Insecurities

"The problem with human attraction is not knowing if it will be returned."
― Becca Fitzpatrick,Hush Hush

*********************************************************

Like an annoying pesky housefly, Danishk was wandering around her even if she swatted her arm to get rid of him. From yesterday he had been adamant on one thing and that is being on Prajakta's side 24/7. Even though it was annoying, he kept insisting that he would cook for her and all that she felt warmth and the feeling of being important to someone else. A smile escaped her lips as she left the metro train while her thoughts were consumed with Daninshk-

"What are you laughing about?"

The voice caused Prajakta to jump out of her Trance and gasp loudly. On her left the culprit who invaded her bubble stood grinning like a Cheshire Cat.

"Vikram, are you out of your mind? Why are you shouting the building down? God! You scared me."

"Well, Miss Sharma you are gonna get scared because the boss is in a really bad mood and I have heard the big boss is gonna visit today."

He stated as if it's a breaking news. But not for her because she now feels confident to handle that brute.

"Well, whatever I am 'handling' him daily so there is nothing new for me."

She air quoted as if she is handling an easy peasy task. In the corner of her eye, she saw Vishakha approaching the two with a happy face as if she had won a Jackpot.

" Hey, a**holes I am in a relationship. Chocolates?"

She offered them chocolates with a grin like a school kid on their birthday. With an awkward smile, Prajakta accepted the chocolate while Vikram did too.

"Well Vishakha congratulations, you finally found a way to ask out the lunch lady huh?"

Vikram commented with a wink to which she flipped her middle finger towards him and then her gaze landed on laughing Prajakta.

"Hmm, I thought that you and Big Boss were a thing. But it seems like you shag anyone you find with healthy ding-Dong."

That jab was enough to pull the laugh into a frown and she handed the chocolate back to her.

"Whatever you think doesn't matter because I don't care about shitty office gossip. And when sharing chocolates, try to control your bitter tongue. And I thought at least you won't be having a typical filmy mentality."

Saying that she rushed towards the elevator at the same time, and a crippling headache started to consume her.

"Hey, wait up, Prajakta come on yar, Vishaka always talks nonsense. Due to that, you can't cut communication with me-"

"Vikram please leave me... I am not in the mood right now."

He did what she asked and she was thankful for that because she didn't want to snap at good people. If the whole workplace already thought that she and Danishk were having an affair, she should tread carefully. Being fearless is one thing and having their reputation ruined is another. Ugh! Why is her life becoming such a mess? Once she reached her desk, she sat took a few deep breaths, and cradled her head with her fingers. She felt a cold hand being placed over the back of her neck causing her to jerk up in surprise and ready to attack the person who touched her.

"Hey-hey sorry... it's just me... you looked exhausted so I thought that I could help..."

Dishan raised his hand like he was being held at gunpoint. That somehow caused Prajakta to relax and laugh as he looked like a deer caught in the headlights. With his shoulder-long straight hair swaying back to the wind coming from her back and those eyes wide with his hand held up, he looked like a cartoon character.