Chapter 31

"Talking"

'Thinking'

Dream

Alpha Command

Nox followed Hotaru into the dining room, his senses immediately picking up the distinct scents of Ume and Toru

Nox followed Hotaru into the dining room, his senses immediately picking up the distinct scents of Ume and Toru. Toru gave a respectful nod, and Ume greeted them with a hint of sarcasm. "Oh my god, we thought we'd never see you two again," she said, her voice laced with mock exasperation.

Toru gave Ume a gentle nudge. "We're glad you two are officially bonded. Congrats," he added with a sincere smile.

Feeling a bit embarrassed, knowing they were aware of his and Hotaru's activities, Nox grunted in acknowledgment. His thoughts briefly lingered on the bonding before he redirected his attention. "The plan?" he asked, his voice low and steady.

Ume quickly set up her laptop on the coffee table. "So! We've done most of the groundwork. We've hired advertisers on the dark web to promote a new life-extending procedure. They've even got actors to testify about its effectiveness. We've also managed to get a newspaper to mention the procedure subtly. Now, we just wait for your father to notice it," she explained, her enthusiasm evident.

Hotaru's response was pragmatic. "That could take months."

Ume's smile faltered slightly. "Yeah, that's the downside. We need to make it go viral, but it might not reach your dad directly."

Nox, considering their options, asked, "So, what? Do we abandon this plan?"

"I'm not sure yet," Ume admitted, shrugging. "We could try to get a newspaper to him directly, or maybe approach his doctor?"

Toru's eyes lit up. "His doctor! Perfect. We don't need to convince your dad directly; we can persuade his doctor to talk to him about it."

Hotaru rubbed her temples, clearly stressed. Nox, sensing her discomfort, moved closer, offering silent support. "Yeah, that might work. Knowing him, he's probably got something on the doctor. Wouldn't be surprised if he's holding their family hostage or something."

"But how do we find his doctor?" Toru asks, breaking the brief silence.

"That's not a concern," Hotaru replies, pulling out her phone and typing quickly. "My team will get back to us with a name in a few hours. Until then, who's going to meet up with the doctor?"

Ume, sporting a rather terrifying toothy smile, punching her fists with determination. "I'll do it. It'll be just like old times."

Nox frowns slightly, concern evident in his tone. "They could be an innocent person just doing their job. We can't assume they're as bad as her dad."

He notices Toru giving him a fleeting, strange look, but it quickly disappears.

Ume's excitement dims at Nox's caution. "Ugh! But that's no fun."