Chapter 20

"Talking"

'Thinking'

Dream

Alpha Command

As Nox drove down the familiar route, the car was silent

As Nox drove down the familiar route, the car was silent. The police station wasn't far from his house, and he passed it frequently on his route to daycare.

Even though he had his eyes fixed on the road, he could sense Hotaru's gaze on him. Nox could only attempt to ignore it and concentrate on the road ahead. Nox wasn't sure how he felt about everything that was going on right now.

He just prayed Victoria was all right and that Hotaru could talk to her. This stalker was a major issue, and Nox genuinely wished to deal with him.

But.

That wasn't his job, and he couldn't just do whatever he wanted. He wasn't a soldier anymore that had to kill with no remorse. He technically still was, he can still play the part, but he didn't want to anymore. He hated killing people, and he wanted to leave that part of his life behind.

'I can't even if I tried.' Nox admits to himself.

♦♦♦

Nox taps his fingers on the steering wheel as they pulled into the parking lot of the police station. He quickly parked, and they both hopped out of the car. The police station wasn't big as the town was small in size.

Hotaru entered the building, her shoes clicking on the polished floor. Nox trailed behind her, his eyes scanning the surroundings for indications of the stalker. He didn't want to risk anything. He was still her bodyguard, and his top concern was to keep Hotaru safe.

As they approached the front desk, Hotaru leaned forward, her voice sweet and commanding. "We're here to see Detective Williams about Victoria's case."

The officer behind the desk looked up, his eyes flicking over their faces. "Do you have an appointment?" he asked, his tone skeptical.

"No, but it's urgent. My name's Hotaru. I'm a part of the stalking case that has yet to be resolved." Hotaru replied, her eyes flashing with a little annoyance.

The officer hesitated for a moment before nodding. "Alright, follow me," he said, leading them down a dimly lit hallway.

Nox could only follow quietly. They were led into an interrogation room. Hotaru takes a seat across from the one-way mirror, her eyes fixed on the door.

Waiting.

Nox stood beside her, his arms folded in front of him. He was, as usual, feeling a sense of comfort in her presence. Even though he was supposed to protect her and make her feel safe, he knew that she was in control and that didn't bother him. Which scared Nox a little.

As they waited for Detective Williams to arrive, Nox started to feel a sense of unease. What if Victoria's condition worsened? What if the stalker came back to finish her off? Is there anyone even guarding her? He could only imagine how worried Hotaru felt.