Chapter 14

Nox rubs the white towel across his short hair

Nox rubs the white towel across his short hair. The bath lasted longer than usual as he was deep in thought. His clothes were already on and he only needed to blow dry his hair. 

In front of his bathroom mirror, Nox could only sigh. Bags under his eyes were already present, but they became more noticeable over the last few days. Touching his chin with his hand, he feels only the scruff of his beard. 

Nox considered shaving the beard, but decided not to. 

As he continued to look in the mirror, he didn't see anything different. Everything was just as it always had been. It wasn't pretty, but it was him nonetheless. Taking the blow dryer from underneath the sink, Nox ventures into his room. 

Spot and Loki were sleeping. Chizu however was focusing on the fish in its tank. 

Nox shook his head, "Don't even try Chizu, he's not food." Chizu stopped trying to climb to the tank and instead began chasing his tail.

He tossed his towel in the basket and slumped against his bed, his back against the bed. The dryer was plugged into an outlet and set on low so as not to disturb his pets. 

As he washed his hair, Nox once again was back to thinking.

'I need to find someone, anyone to help me.' The warmth coming from the dryer made him a little calmer.

Nox was angry after speaking with Rat. She wasn't obligated to assist him, but she was all he had. He could cope and somewhat enjoy his life because of her. He was able to join the military because of her. Without the drugs, Nox would have to quit his work, everyone would find out, and he would be labeled a freak.

Just like his parents said.

A solitary tear streamed down Nox's cheek. He exhales and drops the dryer to wipe it away. Another came down just as he did. He tried again to wipe them away, but they persisted.

Nox was soon sobbing gently into his hands. He sobbed for the first time, clutching his knees to his chest, unsure what to do. He was pitiful, and instead of manning up and determining what he should do, he was lying on the floor. Engulfed in his own self-pity.

But he just couldn't stop. 

The thought of anyone finding out broke his heart. He wasn't like everyone else; he didn't look or act like an omega. No one would ever desire him, and Nox was perfectly content with that. He was... so why did his heart hurt so much?

A sniffle sounds in the room, as Nox finally manages to stop crying. Spot's snout then landed on his still somewhat damp hair. Loki rubbed against his leg. When he looked up, he saw Chizu pawing at him.

Nox's face is filled with a sorrowful smile.

"T-thank you." His voice is raspy as he speaks. He strokes them all, feeling lighter having them around. "What would I do without you guys?" He sighs, tugging Spot's cheek and receiving a lick on the cheek.