16

Megan

Megan

I'm bored with myself as usual. I've tried to stretch my legs but I don't think I can get any real strength unless I eat real seasoned food. Like an actual steak and ribs. They don't want me walking unless I have someone with me. I understand hospital protocols but I want to improve my chances of coming home. Walking back and forth to the bathroom isn't enough to make sure I'm moving the way I'm supposed to.

I hear a knock at the door. I immediately thought it could be a nurse for my routine check-ins for vitals and such. But no. After I say "Come in" I realize there is a pause.

Normani. She comes in casual workout leggings and a jacket to match. It's a light blue set that hugs her curves just right. Her hair is down and in waves. She carries a box in her arms.

"Megan. Hi." She smiles and slowly approaches. She pushes the door closed with her foot and I immediately feel better. I didn't even realize I wasn't okay I was just sitting here bored. Jordyn sat with me and we went through pictures of her over the past 15 years. Normani. My wife, my love, my everything.

"Hey." I smile and blush bashfully. "You came."

I guess the body remembers what the brain doesn't, right?

"I did. How are you? Do you mind if I sit this here?"

She asks and signals to one of the side tables. She is referring to where she should set the big box down.

"Good. You?"

"I'm good. I received your flowers. Irises."

"Yes." I smile. "Somehow I was right, I just shouted it out. Jordyn told me I was right."

They were in her bouquet when I married her. She smiles really big. How did I not remember her?

After setting the box down, she comes to my side and holds my hand. I can see she was hesitant, but I hope that I'm giving off as inviting energy as possible. I can't explain it. I feel like I remember her, but I struggle with what exactly I remember of her.

"You were right. How have you been?"

She gently moves my head to analyze my wounds. I feel so... complete. I can't explain the feeling that I have. I feel like I could burst into a full sprint and just get out of here.

"Were you always this protective?"

She chuckles a little and smirks, "Maybe."

I see her wedding ring as she holds onto my hand. I wiggle my fingers around, in search of mine.

"I've got it." She says gently, reaching into her purse, and pulling my ring out. "I've held onto it ever since you got here. When I got this for you I was so incredibly nervous you wouldn't like it."

I see the beautiful diamonds adorning the top of the ring in a circular shape. I turn to Normani and I smile big.

"Can I put it on you or... I understand you might not be ready for that. In which case—-"