1

15 Years Later...

Megan

I get up out of bed. Normani and I were organizing another family vacation and then got so tired that we caught up on our favorite TV show. 

I forced myself to wake up at 4 a.m. to meet with Teyana. Normani doesn't know and honestly, I hope she doesn't bring up my disappearance later. 

I shower lotion my body up I start getting ready for my meeting with the other woman. My hair is in a low ponytail, not a single hair is out of place. My blouse and slacks are nice and comfortable. No makeup because things are bound to get messy anyway. 

I go back to the side of the bed and kiss Normani gently. She stirs but doesn't fully wake up. 

"Huh?" 

"I gotta go, baby."

"You promised you would leave that behind for the week. We're planning---"

"I know baby, but this was just unexpected. Give me 4 Hours."

"2." She opens her eyes and wakes up. "You promised Rookie you'd grab McDonald's before school with her."

"I promise." I sigh with a smile and give her another kiss. 

"I love you. Stay safe."

"I love you too my big ass baby."

"Ruth, you gotta come home to me, not playing." She pleads to me softly.

"I will, Mani. Don't even worry about that. I'm always going to be returning home to you and our baby."

"You better."

"Okay, now get back to sleep. You need your rest."

My chest flutters with love for this woman. She gives me another kiss and grabs the side of my cheek. 

"God, I just love you."

She sits up and gives me a tight and warm embrace. She always acts like I'm not coming back when she knows that I would crawl out of whatever ditch I'm in to get back to her. I sneak in another kiss. 

As I get ready to walk out, I stop by our daughter's room. I quietly walk in and kiss her on the forehead. I always say goodbye before work. I tell her I love her and then turn to leave the room, but not before picking up her stuffed bunny and putting it back on the bed right next to her.

I love my little family so much. 

I walk downstairs and grab a quick protein shake before taking it with me to the unmarked black car, heading to my destination in the dark of night.

I arrive about 30 minutes later and reluctantly get out of the car. 

I want to be home with my family. I promised Brooke I would take her to get some breakfast because she took a test and successfully passed it. For the first time she tried and succeeded and I want to celebrate the little things. I feel like it might motivate her more to not be afraid to show people how smart she truly is.