14

Megan

Megan

They say I was targeted. They say I'm 43, married to a woman named Normani who is 42. We have a daughter together, Brooke who is to turn 10 years old very soon.

I am an anesthesiologist.

All this information I should know like a cakewalk, but it seems almost as if I'm being told of something out of a fantasy book. I apologized to my wife. At first, having all this information hurled at me when I first woke up and started to absorb everything, but she never deserved that. They say she's been by my side.

I asked my friend Jordyn to get flowers for both of them from the gift shop since I can't go myself. I still can't walk. I'm meeting my daughter Brooke finally. It's been two weeks. I'm seeing Normani after a week. My outburst sort of scared her off, she wanted me to have time to speak with doctors. I feel bad she's afraid to see me, I'm happy I get to see her and our daughter. I wonder what she's like.

All I remember is my name. It's like my mind has been wiped clean.

Jordyn knocks and opens the door for a woman and my daughter. I smile. However, in the back of my mind, I wonder who this other woman is.

"Mama!"

I grab the flowers and extend them for her.

"You remembered my favorite flower! peonies!"

I nod, even though I just randomly chose a type of flower. This gives me some hope that this visit won't make me feel as horrible as I originally assumed it was. However, I remain extremely curious as the taller woman approaches.

"I'm Samira. I'm not really your daughter but I also am. You and Ma took me in like 15 years ago. You've really helped me out." She gives me a small smile as she reaches out to shake my hand. "I'm in the military... will finish my contract soon, though."

I can tell she doesn't want to hug me out of respect for the fact that I don't recall her. I'm silently grateful for that.

"This is your daughter---"

"Brooke," I answer with a smile.

I see her smile right back at me. That's my smile. Almost identical to mine.

I gave Sam the other bouquet since Jordyn brought back three upon my request. I had Sam in mind as well the moment Jordyn sat down with me just days ago after I nearly attacked my own wife and told me everything. From my earliest childhood memories of mine, she could recall that I told her recently.

"Thanks." She smiles genuinely. "When I graduated you and Normani brought me big sunflowers, I still have the picture. You remembered!"

I smile big. I guess my intuition is kicking in well.

I won't lie, I'm slightly resistant to hugs and affection but it is only because this all feels so fake. I sort of freeze when Brooke jumps on the bed and tries to hug me. A hug I can tell that my child has been needing from me. I hug her tight because the moment she sinks into my arms I can tell she is my daughter. No matter what has happened, I refuse to deny her. I can tell by her nose and smile that we share.