15

Normani

Normani

The doorbell rings and I quickly answer the door. I was in the kitchen already, fixing my breakfast since Brooke was in school. Once my door is on the handle I immediately recognize Samira. She recently finished her contract with the military. Her arrival is welcome but a little out of the blue.

"Hey, Ma!" She smiles wide and gives me a big hug immediately.

I can't lie I've been needing a hug from any and every one after how everything has been recently. It's been a mental struggle navigating a new routine and still having to raise Brooke through all of this and make sure she won't fall apart with me.

"Ryan called. She told me that she was super worried about you. Hope you don't mind me being in town, helping you out. I got a temporary place until I can get a house hopefully."

I'm so grateful for Ryan. Samira as well. Last week she stopped by the hospital with Brooke and saw Megan for herself. I have never been more grateful.

I give her another hug and shut the door.

"Come in, kid. I've got some breakfast happening."

Brooke will be happy to come home and see her. It makes me happy to see her after some time. She's been wanting to get out of her military contract for a while and now she finally finished it. She has told us that she plans on coming back home but living in a different area of the city, finding it in her to settle down and find a job. I'm proud of her.

Megan was incredibly proud as well. The two are just two peas in a pod and constantly argue over teams when they watch basketball. It's saddening that Megan seems to have forgotten all these moments we all built as a family together.

"What kind of house are you looking into getting?" I ask curiously.

She insists on serving her plate so I sit down where I usually do. I sip my cup of coffee.

"Nothing huge. I want to start with a small two-bedroom, one or two bathroom. It'll just be me and..." Her eyes trail to the side as if she were nervous to tell me about something. "My boyfriend."

"Why are you all nervous telling me that?" I chuckle a bit because she reminds me of the shy teen she used to be. 

She sighs and I see a small smile peeking through her expression, "Oh, I'm just afraid to jinx anything. You know I dealt with a serial cheater last year and I feel like that scarred me. I didn't expect to get into a serious relationship with him as quickly as I did. Y'know?"

I nod, understanding 100% where she's coming from. She has come to me a handful of times distraught wondering if she was crazy for being suspicious of her boyfriend at the time. Megan and I both consoled her when it was confirmed to be true. I was devastated for Sam. She's our family and to see her hurt because a man wanted to play her was concerning. It truly broke me because she is such a great person. Kind hearts are always hurt the most.