20

Megan

Megan

A wave of cold air hits me in the face. Normani didn't question it but I could see in her face that she knew I'd come here. She stayed home and resumed our nightly routine of dinner and a shower and settling down with a TV show as always. Brooke is already asleep since it's a school night.

When Teyana came to the hospital she left a balled-up piece of paper. Once I unfolded it days later, I saw an address written on it. Something pushed me to come here in the darkness of night. Not sure why. I feel like I was bound to return at some point.

A man opens the door for me. Taller than me, Bulky real heavy set and muscular. I wonder if she is a bodybuilder or wrestler or anything. I feel like he'd do well at it.

"Hey, boss lady." He says with a smile, then he acts like he made some sort of mistake. "Oh right, I'm Justin."

He must know about my brain injury. He moves to the side so that I can walk in.

"Um, continue up the stairs, to your left, that's where the office is. Your office. Kellon and I decided to put together a little gift basket for you."

"Kellon?" I say it out loud and it seems familiar, but ultimately I can't really put a face to a name. "Kellon."

"Yes, Kellon."

I go upstairs and go according to his instructions. This is a garage. Like an old mechanic's garage. However, I can tell there were many more updates to it, security-wise. There are a whole bunch of miscellaneous guns and knives just lying around about and just the walls with bricks and bricks of what I'm assuming is coke. There isn't a foul smell but it smells faintly of gasoline and the air is thick and humid. Everything seems more familiar though.

I naturally know where the office is, disregarding the instructions I was given. The lights are already on. I set my bag down on the wooden desk that sits there. It looks like it's been cleaned. Sure enough, the gift Justin mentioned is sitting there. A big basket with a "welcome back" on it and some candy.

"Teyana couldn't be here but we still wanted to come up with something for you. You know we're always here for you, boss." Justin smiles and crosses his arms, then he adjusts his gun and steps outside the office.

I step forward, "Where is... Teyana?"

"You didn't know she apparently was having a night out with Beyonce? Between me and you, she is still trying to revive that relationship, but it's doomed, regardless." he chuckles and chews his gum.

However, based on my last interaction with Teyana I couldn't care less about the relationship gossip. Why did she basically lead me here?

"Is anything needed of me?"

"Um, speaking of..." He scratches the back of his head, "Teyana wanted you to come and finish up some numbers, not sure why but we can help you with that so we can keep you up to date on everyone  an everything and the amounts."