Let's Go For A Ride

David hardly slept, his mind ablaze with thoughts of being with Stacy. Every rehearsed line seemed inadequate as he headed to work, convinced he was unworthy of her youth, beauty, and wit. The lobby door of his office building felt like the gateway to heaven, and there, an angel named Stacy greeted him, ushering him into a world of fluttering nerves.

"Hey there." Stacy smirked and David's stomach did a somersault.

"Hey." He smiled. "I'm looking forward to tonight."

"Me too." Without awaiting his order, she grabbed a cup, already preparing his usual. "Any hints on what I should expect?"

Her interest in the date thrilled him, reinforcing the notion that she wanted to be with him just as much. He leaned on the counter. "I was thinking drinks at that place on L street. The rest is up to you."

"That place on L street, huh? Guess I'll make sure to wear my best. I hope you can keep up." She handed him a plain black coffee. He reached for the cup, brushing her fingers with his own.

David was even more intrigued, not just by the prospect of their upcoming date, but by the teasing banter that wrapped him around her finger like a ribbon. His body ached with the hint of romantic possibility. Each playful challenge and witty retort sent a spark of anticipation through him.

"Are you trying to make it impossible for me to focus at work?"

Stacy flashed what David could only summarize as a mischievous grin, the kind that hinted at secrets and playful intention, before she offered him a response, "Well, David, if you can't handle a little banter, I might have to tone it down for you."

She punctuated her words with a playful wink and the air between them crackled with tension.

"I'll see if I can survive." David countered with a sly grin. "Duty calls, but I'm counting down the hours until tonight."

He tapped the countertop twice before leaving. A line had formed behind him and he stole one last glance at her before making his way to the office. She had already moved onto the next order, as if he hadn't visited. Yet, in his mind, Stacy persisted throughout the day, occupying his thoughts until the moment he would see her in a dress she had chosen. His body was electrified as he contemplated how the night would go. He imagined being with Stacy and Stacy displaying a vulnerability and intensity that made him shiver. He entered the elevator and pressed the button, seeking a moment of calm by himself before getting to the office. Just as the doors began to close, a hand thrust its way through. In a twist of theatrical irony, the doors reluctantly reopened. They parted like the opening act of a dark comedy revealing Hellen.