Let's Go For A Walk

Riley sniffed at the closet door in the hallway as David washed his hands in the bathroom sink. She followed a scent from the door to the hallway where David had placed a large black bag. She nudged the bag with her nose, picking up scents that were both familiar and distant. Covered in mud from their last trip to the woods as David was too busy to wash it, the bag held the promise of adventure. She curled next to it, eager for another journey. Though it seemed a bit soon after the last trip, Riley didn't mind; she simply didn't want David to leave without her.

"Fuck," David muttered, leaning over the bathroom sink. Cupping water in his hands, he splashed it on his face. Riley lifted her head, concerned. He repeated, slightly louder, "Fuck."

Riley stood up, jolted by the sudden intensity, and approached David, wanting to offer support. He shut off the water, knelt to meet her, and tears fell down his face. She licked at the salty trails, providing comfort.

"Fuck," he cried further, pulling Riley into a hug. Her tail swung back and forth as she relished the closeness. It slowed down as he continued to hold her, his face buried into her fur. Riley leaned into David and she rested her head in his elbow as he wrapped an arm around her neck.

After a moment, he pulled himself back and began to pet her head. Riley detected a different smell on his hands, one he tried to wash away but couldn't. She was addicted to the scent; her nose moved across his body, smelling it on his clothes, and following the trail back out into the hallway.

Reaching the bedroom door, Riley scratched at it once before David gave a firm, "Riley." She stopped at the sound of her owner and looked back. "Let's go for a walk."

Pouncing at the announcement, Riley spun in a circle to show her excitement. A walk is exactly what she wanted, how did David know? Yet, as much as she wanted to go, there was still something in the room she desired, and David wasn't the only one to respond. On the other side of the door, Riley heard a quiet, "Please, just let me go." The voice inside the bedroom was also crying, just like David.