Come

The other employees began introducing themselves as David felt the sharp sting of disappointment, a taste more bitter than the black coffee that lingered on his tongue. His smile tightened as he tried to conceal his anger. The promotion had been within arm's reach, a testament to his dedication and hard work. Now, he watched it slip through his fingers, just like his morning with Stacy. He believed he had earned this, and the snub felt suffocating in the tiny conference room.

Carefully standing up not to draw attention to himself, David continued down the hall, riding the elevator, and making his way to a back entrance to the building before realizing he never notified anyone or grabbed his personal belongings. Someone held the door open, and he gruffly said, "Thank you," not fully registering what happened and wishing he were closer to Riley.

"Are you ignoring me now, David?" He looked quickly at the voice, ready to continue his swift exit without a second thought to the voice behind the quip. But the tone sounded playful, maybe even with a hint of spite, and he looked again, focusing on the person who called him.

"Stacy." He smiled. She was exactly who he needed to see if he couldn't get home to Riley. And better, she engaged in an interaction with him. The anger he felt moments before was washed away by the thought of Stacy. She wasn't wearing her apron, her typically pulled-back hair flowing freely. She looked like she was leaving after work even though his workday had just started. He gestured toward the coffee stand back inside the building through the now-closing door. "You mean to tell me you don't live there? I had no idea."

"Obviously not. And to think I felt bad about calling you Duncan earlier," she retorted, a smirk playing on her lips. The comment had an unexpected lightness, a diversion from the usual transactions at the coffee stand. This moment was far better than any moment he could've envisioned while catching her at work.

"Let me make it up to you," David offered. He had rehearsed how to ask Stacy out in his mind thousands of times before this, and yet, in that moment, his smooth lines and confidence disappeared. It felt organic, albeit not to his usual standards.

"I appreciate the offer," she trailed off. David knew what that meant. But he couldn't accept rejection after the morning he had. He couldn't miss the opportunity.

He continued with one of his favorite lines before she had the chance to finish her response, "I promise it'll be in a caffeine-free environment, but we can still have a few drinks."

David offered her a smile that effortlessly carved dimples into his cheeks. He knew they had an almost magnetic pull, inviting anyone who saw them to be drawn into his orbit. Countless women had told him his dimples left an indelible mark that lingered in their thoughts long after his smile had faded. He knew how and when to use his best asset.

"Alright, David." She shook her head and David wondered if she felt the same disbelief that this moment was happening as he did. "Let's get a drink. But just one drink, okay?"