Go Fetch

The car bounced up and down as its wheels spun across the gravel of the trail. It wasn't designed for off-roading, but that didn't deter them. Going into the woods had been his idea; he thought it would offer more openness, quiet, and seclusion. She didn't mind, as long as he was with her. His presence was all that ever mattered to her.

"You ready?" He asked her.

He wore a broad smile on his face, revealing his dimples, making him irresistible to all, especially his coworkers. But it was more than just his smile that had captured her heart. He kissed her every day, prepared her meals, and shared everything with her. They had been together for over three years, living in small apartments with noisy neighbors.

And, after what happened last night, they needed to get away.

She looked at him with a smile on her face that made him laugh. He believed they were meant for each other and that he'd never felt that type of love before. He loved her just as much as she loved him. She looked back out of the car window as a heavy bag thrashed around in the trunk with each bump in the road. The headlights offered little illumination on their path. It was the darkness and isolation that he sought.

He veered the car to the side of the trail, being careful not to disturb the foliage with his tires. He put the car in park. They looked at each other with a sense of anticipation-what was next?

"Wait," he said to her. She watched as he exited the car, ran around the front, and opened her door. He smiled again, saying, "Come on, girl."

She jumped out of the car, sniffed the ground, and then shook herself vigorously. Her hair billowed in the air like a puff of smoke before settling on the ground. She barked once, wagging her tail at him.

"I know, I know. Big treat, huh, girl?"

She placed her paws on the side of his car and stretched while he opened the trunk. Her paws tapped against the bumper as he leaned into the trunk and hoisted a large, black bag onto his shoulder. It was almost as big as he was, but she had learned from previous trips that it meant she would receive a big treat, just as he promised. She stared at him with a face that was hard to refuse.

"You want something now? I don't have anything." He showed her one hand as he balanced the heavy bag on his other shoulder. She sniffed it, and her wet nose touched his hand as if she didn't believe him. He dropped the bag onto the ground and knelt to scratch her head. He sighed. "I can't resist you."

He stood up and her tail wagged at the thought that she might be getting something. He reached into the still open trunk and grabbed something in his hand. She didn't see what it was, but she wanted it. He opened his arms and threw a ball into the other hand. She fixated on the ball and traced it with her eyes as he juggled it twice before she barked at him. He stretched his arm back and launched the ball into the forest. She took off faster than she would when chasing a squirrel. Her paws only barely touched the ground before she bounded forward again. As long as the ball moved, she moved. It collided with a bush, and she hurled her body in after it, biting down on the ball, making it squeak under her pressure. She squeaked it again and again until she heard his distant whistle. Her head lifted at the sound, and she started running back toward him.

About halfway back to him, she abruptly stopped. It smelled good. She stretched her neck until her head touched the ground, and her body followed. She rolled over the scent and stood up. It wasn't enough, and she rolled again. There was something down there that she wanted, needed. She began digging at the spot, her paws quickly alternating as a small hole started to appear.

"Hey," he called out, and she looked up. "What are you doing?"

She lowered her head, peering at him with just her eyes. He dropped the bag and laughed.

"Don't give me that look. You're not getting anywhere with your paws. Give me a minute."

He stretched and rubbed his shoulder. Either they were getting heavier or he was getting weaker. He knew he wouldn't be doing this much longer, and maybe it was for the best. He walked back to his car, reached into the trunk, and grabbed out the shovel. It was going to be a long night, and it had only just begun. Besides, she needs a good distraction anyway, he thought. He returned and she was curled up next to the black bag. It no longer radiated warmth, but it still had a smell she found comfortable, familiar.

He brought the shovel to the area she had been digging and pushed it into the dirt. His body ached; the fight from the night before had drained more energy than he had expected. He looked back at his dog, curled next to the bag, her eyes fixed on him. He kept digging for her until he felt the pressure against the shovel that he had been waiting for. He reached into the hole, grabbed out a bone, and showed it to his dog. She stood up, her tail wagging, as she sniffed the familiar scent of her last big treat. He stretched his arm again and threw the bone into the forest.

"All right, girl, go fetch."