Chapter 26

Jungkook finally started his job again the week of Halloween. He'd been getting antsy being cooped up in Taehyung's apartment all day every day. His only productive accomplishment had been finding a sub letter so he was able to start moving his things into Taehyung's much nicer apartment.

It seemed like things were starting to go back to normal. Except normal wasn't what it used to be. Now normal was living with Taehyung, feeding from blood bags, and living with the knowledge that he wasn't really living at all. Jungkook did his best to process and put on a brave face with Taehyung. And truthfully, most of the time he was ok. Except for the nightmares.

Almost every night for the last week Jungkook had been awoken by horrific nightmares. Over and over he saw Taehyung thrashing against the vampires holding him down, screaming his name as Mingyu bit into his neck. He would wake with a start, shooting up in bed and whipping his head around frantically. He'd become gloomier since they started, jumpy too. He was always watching his back and being short with Taehyung.

He shook his head free of the memory, focusing on the walk in front of him and the blonde's hand in his.

"You don't have to walk me all the way there you know." He mumbled, swinging his arm along with Taehyung's.

Taehyung gave him a pointed side eye. "Yes I do." He tightened his grip seeing the ravenette roll his eyes.

"I'm ok, really Tae."

"Are you?" Taehyung suddenly stopped walking and grabbed Jungkook's other hand, facing him head on.

"Kookie you've adjusted remarkably well and obviously I'm glad. But you went through something really traumatic and we haven't really... talked about it." His eyes were creased with worry, scanning every inch of the ravenette's face.

"We have talked about it Tae. I told you I'm not mad at you and I'm fine. I'm glad you did what you did." Jungkook said quietly, not meeting the older's gaze.

Taehyung placed a hand on Jungkook's cheek and gently guided his face so that they were eye to eye.

"Not just that baby. I mean with Mingyu and Jun and..." He trailed off, a pained look in his eyes as he remembered what the younger had been put through because of him. "you know, everything they did."

Jungkook shuddered slightly which did not go unnoticed. "To be honest I just try really hard not to think about it." He pulled out of Taehyung's grasp and continued walking, forcing the older to trail behind him.

He hated when Taehyung worried about him. And he wasn't ready to delve into the topic of his recent sleep troubles.

"Well, we're here." Jungkook bounced awkwardly on his heels in front of the cafe entrance. He gave Taehyung a small smile and turned away but the older grabbed onto his hand.

"You don't have to be so strong all the time." Taehyung said, begging Jungkook with his eyes to open up. He paused for a moment, searching the ravenette's face for any kind of sign he'd let him in on what was bothering him. Finding none, he simply raised Jungkook's hand to his lips and gave it a kiss.
"I love you."

Inside, Jungkook let his shoulders relax as he took in the familiar ambiance. He breathed in the smell of pumpkin wafting from the kitchen and tuned in to the lilting melody coming from the speakers.

"Jungkookie!" Jin barreled into him and practically lifted him up in a crushing hug. "Are you feeling better? What happened? Are you sick?" He worriedly held his hand to Jungkook's forehead looking for any sign of illness. "You're really cold." Jin frowned.

"Uh, yeah i'm chilly from being outside." Jungkook crossed his arms in front of him.

"Oh of course! Come away from the door before you get colder." Jin fussed over him some more before ushering him into the kitchen.