c copyright. Chapter 1- The Protest

• Dedicated to To my daughters that you will find love. xx

The first in a series set in the beautiful Otago Harbour, New Zealand.

COPYRIGHT:

c all rights reserved 2013.

This Story "The Understanding", all chapters and associated content is covered by copyright law 1994.

1. All rights have been reserved by the author and creator of this work. (Dee J Cooper)

Changes in POV are indicated by '####' sorry this chapter was so long, still learning to guage the length of each chapter. Will try better next time.

####

I was puzzled, I was quite sure that the woman who'd caught my eye in the protest had no intention of breaking the law, but she had done, by breaking through a police line. It came to me that this might be reason enough to satisfy my curiosity and find out some more about her. I turned to Ryan,

"Yes, take her in, put her in the the cells, I will process her as soon as I get back." I could tell Ryan was surprised, I could almost hear the 'What the...!!' from the expression on his face. He was unsure, and his earlier question had clearly been intended tongue in check.

I was his superior, I knew Ryan would do as I asked. But I could tell there would be questions later. I would be looking for answers myself. Why was I doing this? She was clearly attractive, long fair hair, tanned skin. But it was the way her eyes wavered and filled with tears that made me feel like reaching out and stroking her face in reassurance. But instead, to save time, I needed to talk with her at the station, while I sort things here.

####

My humiliation was complete. I couldn't look the Sargeant in the eye as I was led away. What was he thinking! How dare he do this! a few simple questions would have proven I had nothing to do with stirring up a riot, or in any way inciting one! but oh no.... he is taking me in!! Smart!

To think that I have always believed in the New Zealand police and thought highly of them! What is that guy thinking? Then my mind turned to my job. I have a good working relationship with the principal of the school where I work, but I had only been there a year, since I had graduated from Dunedin College of Education. I can't imagine that the Board of the school would look very kindly on a teacher they employed having a brush with the law! I groaned.

My job as a teacher was more than that, it was my life. My life!#!! arghh! my life and my future seemed to be fast slipping away and the nausea deep in my stomach seemed to roll up and take away all my fight.

The officer, Ryan, led me off and put me in the van. I covered my face with my hands and started to cry. I wanted to avoid the eyes of the others in the van lock up. So I reached around behind my head and pulled out my hair tie, letting my hair cover and hide me. As I sat there my mind went back over the past few hours and it played like a TV show I had already seen and had no way of changing the story line. I groaned.

(Events an hour earlier)

What was I doing here? how did I let my friends talk me into this?

"Cassie!" Zach called out to me, pointing for me to duck as a protest sign was swung around by a nearby protester.

We were standing outside the Dunedin Hospital protesting the cuts to funding. I am not a rebel, far from it! Coming from a conservative background, I had been taught that a good education, living simply, and hard work were the way to being successful in life. When my mother was admitted to the ICU last year, I saw first hand how hard working the staff were and how desperately few nurses there were to care for the patients. Even now, thinking back to that time in my life, caused a deep pain to burn in my chest, a hollow ,empty feeling in my heart.