Chapter 29

This is my fav chapter yet! Enjoyyyy!!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chapter-29
Cyra
I smell flowers
“Are we safe here?” I asked, finally breathing properly.
“Yes, not many people know about this place.” He said.
I sat down and take out my water. The letter from my parents also fell out, and Damon caught it.
“And what do we have here? Is it a letter from your boyfriend?” he smirked but looked at me, as if waiting for an answer.
“That is none of your business. Give that back!” I exclaimed.
“Let me read your lover’s confessions first,” he snickered and opened a letter.
I stood up and ran to him trying to get it back from him but he was too damn tall!
“I thought it was you and me against the world C. We could’ve done this together. But take care of yourself. I hope to see you again. I love you so much.” He read, speaking lower after each word.
It was the ending of Violet’s letter. Damon tensed and stopped preventing me from taking those letters back. He handed them back to me.
“Oh, I guess they really are your boyfriend’s.” he said and walked towards the entrance of the cave.
Well that was weird. Is he….jealous? No, he can’t be. Why would he be? With a body like his, he must have had girls wrapped around his finger. I gathered my letters and kept them back.
Then I walked towards him.
“So, everyone here would be sleeping right now and we can move forward if you are up for it,” he said.
“Okay, let me just take my bag,” I said.
I went inside and took my bag then followed him out. We were still walking through the jungle. If I’m not wrong, we’ll reach the border in about five minutes and we’ll just have to avoid the security and then we’ll be in unmarked territory.
(While most of hell is owned by Hades, some of the darkest parts are reserved by some species and families. It is quite similar to the pack system of werewolves.)
Damon was still tense. For some reason I felt this strong urge to explain myself to him. Explain that ‘Vi’ was not a guy.
“Damon,” I started.
“Yes earthling?”
“Vi is not my boyfriend. She is my best friend. My aunt’s daughter.” I said and he visibly relaxed.
“Oh,” he said.
We reached the border quickly and we could see the guards moving.
“Their shift should be ending soon,” he started.
“We just need to wait for their shift to end and the border will be open for five minutes, which is enough for us to leave the territory.” I finished.
“Yeah, pretty much.”
We found a big tree and hid behind it while we patiently waited for their shift to be over.
“Do you smell that?” one of the guards said.
“No, what are you talking about?” the other said.
My eyes widened. I quickly masked my smell.
“Can you..” Damon started.
“Just masked it” I replied cutting him.
“I smell flowers. Something like orchid, I think.” The first guard said.
“Are you crazy? There are no flowers in hell! Shut up and focus on the work. Our shift is over anyways.” The second man shouted.
We waited for a few seconds till they passed. When the path was clear, we crossed the border quickly.
“He was wrong, you know.” Damon spoke after a while.
“huh?” I asked.
“You don’t smell like orchids. You smell like roses with a tinge of vanilla. In fact, you smell like the rose cookies my mom used to bake.” He spoke softly and I bit my lip.
“Where is she now? Your mom?” I looked at him.
He stayed quiet for a moment, almost as if contemplating if he should tell me or not.
“We’re in the unclaimed territory now. No one should bother us here. I think we should put up a tent and call it a day. Tomorrow we’ll have to go through Queen Evelyn’s territory.” He said, clearly deciding against it and I didn’t push it.
“Her security is tough though. Do you think we’ll be able to sneak through?” I asked.
“No, I don’t think so. But we can try. They are humans, so we might just be able to fight them off.” He explained.
“Okay. Where should we camp tonight?” I asked.
“Here is okay. Let’s start putting up the tent. We can take turns sleeping while the other guards.” He said and I nodded.