🎄Chapter 16: Farewell to Scotland🎄

It was a bumpy ride through the portal and anything but a smooth landing, but at last they arrived back at the station groaning and rubbing their heads.

Rooster fidgeted like he'd forgotten something and was panicking, but then pulled a turkey leg out of his beard and took a bite, smiling happily as he did.

Percy's face turned green and Ana Sofia covered her mouth, trying not to hurl. When the driver offered them a bite, they shook their heads at the exact same time and flew off in a hurry.

"Quickly now!"

Rooster shrugged and took another bite.

Ana Sofia's eyes were soon fixed on Polaris on the trek back to her home portal. Percy looked a bit concerned. Until that point he'd seemed mostly hopeful, but now he seemed to be realizing time was running out.

"The midnight ride is in forty eight hours and there's still no sign of him."

Ana Sofia pointed to the star. "He has to be there, Percy. We've looked everywhere else. Don't lose hope."

"Aye. Most likely. You're right, lass, no need to get down. Tomorrow night we'll find him no matter how long it takes."

When they reached the Southern California portal, Ana Sofia realized something she should have realized much sooner. "Hey. How come my portal doesn't have a chariot driver?"

Percy shivered. "You don't wanna know. Trust me."

His words only made her want to know more, but before she could ask, he pushed her inside.

"Percy!!!" she cried out as she whirled around and around all the way back home.