Back to Reality

After driving practice, they got hungry and ate at a small mom-and-pop diner before heading back to his apartment. It was already dark when they arrived.

It was amazing how at home Dara felt once she got inside, immediately taking off her shoes. She walked straight to the gray couch.

She let out a comfortable sigh as she slumped onto the couch. Almost immediately, she groaned loudly upon the soft contact.

Jiyong chuckled as he grabbed a remote, pointed it at the floor-to-ceiling high glass windows, and pressed a button. The sheer smart roller shades lowered down quietly.

Though amazed at the high-tech window blinds, she stopped him. "Can you keep it open? I like the evening city view."

He contemplated for a while before he pressed another button. The white blinds slowly raised back up.

He then sat down beside her on the couch.

"I'm surprised you don't." She wondered, facing him.

He shrugged. "I like my privacy."

She nodded as she looked at the city lights outside. "It's beautiful."

He smiled, watching her. "Indeed."

They were enveloped in a comfortable silence for a while before she released a sigh.

"Do you mind if I crash few more nights here? I don't feel like going to school or going back home this week." She said.

He played with her locks as he answered, "Not at all. You can stay here however long you want."

She smiled, her gaze fixed on the view outside. The city lights resembled stars, casting a twinkling, city-wide glow. Some might call it light pollution, but to her, it was a beautiful concern.

"I wish I lived here." She couldn't help but say.

She felt his stares at her.

"You know I offered this to you before, right?" He reminded her.

She shook her head. "I can't."

"Why not?" He then frowned. "Aside from worrying about the witch."

She looked at him, meeting his eyes. "You'll get tired of me. I'm not the best roommate."

His frown was gone as he sighed and then slowly pulled her for a hug. "I'll never get tired of you, Dara." He even whispered. "If it makes you feel better, I'm not the best roommate out there, either."

She just smiled as she inhaled his scent, his masculine smell lingering. "That's quite reassuring."

He planted a soft kiss atop her head. "I'm just here whenever you need me."

She nodded. That felt like another assurance too.

After a few more moments of them only hugging, she pulled herself from his arms and she reached for the TV remote, she turned it on and a news channel greeted them.

"...our top story tonight revolves around the ongoing issue of gangs in our city. Gang-related incidents have been a growing concern, with Mayor Yang and the local authorities working tirelessly to address the situation."

The news segment had captured Jiyong's full attention. He shifted on the couch, pivoting to face the TV, his eyes intently locked onto the screen. Leaning slightly forward, he rested his elbows on his knees, his hands clasped under his chin. His eyes darkened as he watched the news report showcasing the aftermath of the car fires from the recent incident at the border with District 1 the previous night.