The Macbeths

/tragedy of Macbeth/

Lady Macbeth

She is shown as a strong and ruthless woman, with vaulting ambition and courage, able to push her husband, 'brave Macbeth' to do anything for her including murder, yet she ends the play, and her life, as a broken figure, destroyed by the guilt she has fought so hard to suppress.

Dara rolled her eyes reading her character. You're already on the top but still ended up killing yourself??

"Look like th'innocent flower, But be the serpent under't"

(Act I, Scene VI, lines 64-5)

She read that line, and she admitted it sounded nice on her lips. Innocent but deadly.

"Now, that's an immersion."

She looked up at the voice. Jiyong was standing at her club's threshold.

She smirked. "How long have you been watching me?"

He shrugged as he entered the empty room. As he expected, she was the only one left there as it was past school time. She's been staying after school hours to practice in the past few days.

"Not too long," he answered as he threw his bag on the stage, and then sat down beside her on the floor.

She thinned her lips. "What do you think of my readings?"

He looked at her first as if contemplating his answer. "You don't sound like you like your character."

She exaggerated a sigh. "Well, this character is too vile! She's too ambitious! It's the cause of her demise." She frowned, answering.

He chuckled a bit at that.

She pouted. "I would rather play an innocent girl-next-door type of main character."

The chuckle turned into a laugh. She was starting to feel insulted.

"What?" He asked her.

She glared at him.

"I can't help it. It's just too funny." He grinned as he ruffled her hair. "You're too talented to be playing a whimsy character." He then nodded. "A strong-willed character like Lady Macbeth suits you better, my lady." He even bowed at her, like how a loyal knight does.

She seemed pleased to hear that, as she shoved her script at Jiyong.

"Pretend you are my husband Macbeth, and I'm your wife, Lady Macbeth, in this scene where I  asked you to kill the king so you will be the king instead, and I'll be the queen," she instructed seriously as she readied herself to act.

He smirked at that as he looked for his line.

Dara as Lady Macbeth, "What beast was 't, then, That made you break this enterprise to me? When you durst do it, then you were a man;

And to be more than what you were, you would; Be so much more the man. Nor time nor place; Did then adhere, and yet you would do both. They have made themselves, and that their fitness now."

He looked at his short line, not really sure about how to approach it, before looking up to meet the glinting eyes of Dara as Lady Macbeth. She was so immersed in her role that Jiyong as Macbeth knew he would do anything she said. She has that vile power over him. His wife owns him.

"If we should fail...?" His only line.

She looked up and down at him as if he was beneath her. "We fail?" The idea of failing is foolish. "But screw your courage to the sticking place...And we'll not fail." then gave him a wicked smile.

It must be the air in the Theater Club or her acting, but he found himself too captivated to answer that.

And just like many times before, he is once again amazed at how she can pull him with her acting whenever she's in character. She has that wicked charm.

༺༻

"This taco place is good isn't it?" Dara asked as she took a bite from her beef tacos.

They're in a street food stall they found on the way home. It was late again and she didn't feel like going home hungry as she knew there was no food waiting for her there, so she asked Jiyong if they wanted to have a "snack" first.

She's on her third plate now. While he barely touched his.

He shook his head at her. "Aside from the sandwich I gave you during lunch, did you eat something else?"

She swallowed her food first, then drank her tea. She shook her head. "There's supposed to be food for the actors in the club but I was so busy doing my lines that the other members finished them before I could grab one." She saw how he crossed his brows. She nodded. "I know, it sucks."

He was displeased to hear that. "You need a real job. Acting without pay won't feed you."

She raised a finger to stop him from speaking. "You know how I dream of reaching this far."

He didn't answer that. Of course, he knew.

She smiled, liking his silence, as she reached for his plate now, then started eating his food. He seemed not to mind it. "Besides, I have you feeding me." She even winked at him.

He scoffed as he just watched how she easily devoured four plates in a row. He knows her situation at home, but she's too stubborn to give up time for practice to get a proper part-time job after school so she can provide for herself more.

He looked at her frail body and he still wondered how she gathered the strength to pull off a performance that captivates any audience.

She wiped her mouth with a napkin as she looked at him. Eyes full of dreams.

"Don't worry, Kwon." She smiled at him. "One day, I'll be a famous theater actress. My play will line up in the many theaters in the West End street of London. I'll be a star. The brightest star." She looked around her. "I can easily afford 9 food trucks like this at every one of my shows!"

He raised his eyebrow at that. "9? Not 10?" Interesting.

She nodded. "Yes, 'coz the last one will be outside your sold-out concert!" She then laughed out loud as she started to gather her things and waved him goodbye. "Thanks for the dinner, my friend. See you tomorrow at school."

Then off she went.

He can only watch her leave.

The food stall owner started to clean their plates as he gave her his card.

The old woman bowed to him after he paid. "You are such a sweet thoughtful boyfriend to that young woman, boy."

He only smiled a bit at the woman, as he shortly left after.

--//--//tbc

a/n: How was it so far? THANK YOU for reading and giving this story a chance. Please don't forget to vote and comment. Thanks.