CHAPTER 14 - Knotted for Lifetime

PRIYA

"Priya! Are you ready? It's time!" 

I opened the door, hearing my mom's voice.

As soon as she glanced at me, a smile blossomed on her face and her eyes filled with tears. 

"Mom!? Why?"

She shook her head, wiping away the tears. "You're getting married! Hereafter, you'll be with your husband only, right? Time flies."

"Mom!" I whined. 

"Let that be aside. Auspicious time has come. Let's leave," she said and I nodded.

Indeed. Time flies.

It was like, just yesterday I celebrated my birthday. But now, a month elapsed marking my wedding day.

A beautiful, silk saree draped around me and I was adorned with jewels. My waist length hair was braided and strings of jasmine flowers embellished my braid.

As I walked down on the mandap, my eyes fell on Karthik. He was doing the rituals, as instructed by the Iyer (Priest).

He was dressed in traditional wear, veshti and a white shirt. He was handsome, as always.

I was made to perch near him and the Iyer instructed me to do some rituals, which I performed as said.

"You look breathtaking!" Karthi whispered in my ear, making me blush.

Jiffies later, the Iyer asked him to tie the nuptial thread(Mangalsutra) around my neck. Happy tears filled my eyes as he tied the knot and divine musicals were played. We were showered with fragrant flowers and elder's blessings.

As the drum beats intensified, he withdrew his hands and his sister, Vinaya tied the third knot. The third knot was to be tied by the groom's sister.

"Fill her hair partition with vermillion," Iyer said.

Karthi did so, and applied a pinch of vermillion on the mangalsutra, too. Aftermath, we ambled around the sacred fire and sought elder's wishes, following which he slid a toe ring on my toe.

We're tied by destiny. Now knotted by the precious bond of marriage. Forevermore.

Subsequently, we left to the dining hall to have lunch

"Congratulations! We're married," Karthi said.

I chuckled. "Seriously? Okay then, congrats!"

Apart from beautiful memories, we were spent due to the tiring rituals.

We were asked to feed each other, pose for pictures and what not?

Shortly, some games were arranged for us. There was nothing new. We had to compete for a gold ring in the silver pot.

"Karthi, you ought to win! Save the men's respect!" 

"Priya, you must win! Show him the woman power!"