CHAPTER 5 - Bygone Baes

KARTHIK

HOUR TEN⏳

Time barreled.

My watch  ticked 7.30 am, and my stomach grumbled indicating the breakfast time. I can get really hungry, especially during travel.

After few moments of hesitation, I glanced at Priya. She was scrolling through her phone. Breaking the silence, I inquired, "Priya! I am gonna get something for breakfast. What do you want?"

She blinked and acknowledged, "It's okay! I don't wanna have anything."

I don't know if I am hallucinating, but something was off today. By now, Priya should have spoke tonnes. But she didn't utter a word since she woke up. 

Not wanting to annoy her anymore, I made my way out. Unfortunately, it would take another one hour to reach the next stop, Dindigul. 

Consoling myself, I mumbled, "I'm ready to sacrifice my hunger for time being if I get to eat the delicious Thalappakatti Biryani.

I thought of returning back to my seat but anyway, Priya is not gonna speak. So in conclusion, I occupied one of the empty seats.

Out of nowhere, I heard a feminine voice." Hey handsome! Wanna have some fun?"

I lend a disgusted look to the girl who sat opposite to me. Ignoring my vexatious glance, she continued, "How about we talk in private?" She stressed on the word 'private'.

I intended to avoid her but she kept on muttering nonsensical words. Before I could lose my patience, I heard a familiar voice.

"Hey Beautiful! Wanna have fun with me? "

The obvious sarcasm dripping voice solved my doubt. So I mumbled, "Priya?"

The woman gazed at her with a vexed look. "Girl! What's your problem?"

While Priya smiled evilly, "Nothing is my problem, baby! But you're my everything."

I almost cringed at her words. Soo dramatic. Still, funny.

I sat there composing myself and the lady stood up in annoyance. As a final touch, Priya smirked. "What happened? Wanna talk in private?"

Wait a minute!

Did she overhear our conversation?

Before I could interpret anything, the lady left in a blink of an eye, frustrated. I let my eyes gaze at Priya and she shrugged.

"Did you overhear our conversation?" I asked.

"Huh?! Not really. But sort of," she said and my eyes widened.

"What? And still you didn't interfere. Seems like you enjoyed seeing me vexed," I muttered, dubious about her presence for a while.

Wasn't she gloomy, a while ago?

She shrugged again. "Yeah, so what? Anyway, I saved you. Perhaps, you should thank me."

I lend her a unbelievable look. Seriously? She's acting as if she saved my life. Few seconds passed and I decided to ask about her sullen mood, whilst she glanced at the scenic view through the window.

"Why were you gloomy?" I queried.

She rolled her eyes and whispered, "I don't want to speak about it."

I was cent percent sure that something's off. Hence, I asked again, "I've let you know, almost everything about me. But still, you don't seem to trust me. Alright! I will not force you. I'm sorry"

She hissed, "Please, Karthik!"

I understood my place with that 'KARTHIK'. It was impractical to make her open up. In consequence, I muttered, "Okay! I am leaving."