CHAPTER 1 - It's my seat, Mister!

KARTHIK

HOUR ONE⏳

"Alright ma! Okay! Sure! Take care. Hmm.." I hung up the call after mumbling a 'bye'.

It was my mother. She has always been overprotective. Currently, I was travelling to the railway station in an auto rickshaw. 

A few days back, I got to know that my engagement is fixed with a distant acquaintance of my mother. Anyway it didn't bother me since I have never been interested in stuff like love, crushes and relationships.

After reaching my destination, I paid the driver and muttered a thanks. Just then, I heard the announcement, "Nagarcoil Express 1*** boarders are requested to move towards Platform No.3"

I looked at my watch before rushing towards the platform. I was late. Extremely LATE....

Suddenly, I heard the buzzing sound of train. To my left, I saw the train moving forward. I quickly ran behind and out of blue, I spotted a hand stretched out. Without thinking twice, I held the hand for support and got into the train.

Gasping for air, I said, "Thank you so much!" 

"No problem! Are you okay?" I heard a soft voice. 

I looked up to see a girl. Pretty, I must say. Getting a grip over my thoughts, I nodded.

She smiled slightly lending her hand for a shake, "I'm Priya. And you?"

"Karthik." I shook her hand with a smile.

Scrolling through my phone for the seat number, I spotted my seat. Number 39.

But before I could sit, that girl, I mean Priya spoke with hesitation, "Excuse me! It's my seat, Mister!"

Huh? I looked at my phone again and said, "No! I think you're mistaken. This is my seat."

"No.... It's..." Before she could speak further, a middle-aged lady said, "There are just two seats, 39 and 40. Why are you arguing over this? Each one take one seat!"

"But it's my seat, sister!" she said while I told, "It's mine!"

"Why don't you check the tickets again?" I told to avoid confusions.

She took her phone out and slowly her expressions changed. Smiling sheepishly, she said, "I'm sorry! It's yours. 40 is mine."

I smirked. "That's why you should think before you act!"

She glared at me in response, muttering something under her breath. I sat on my seat while she sat on hers. The night sky looked exquisite and I admired the scenic cityscape through the window. 

Jiffies later, when I casually looked at Priya, she was looking stressed. So I inquired, "Priya? What happened?"

"Huh! My charger is missing," she said with a nervous smile.

I shuffled through my bag, taking my charger out. "If you don't mind, you can use mine." 

Getting it, she said, "Ahh! Thank you! I need to speak to my mother. Otherwise she would make a big fuss out of it." 

"All mothers are same!" I told with a chuckle to which she laughed.

"So... Where are you travelling to? I'm sorry if I am too nosy," she asked.

"No! That's okay. I going to Tirunelveli," I said.

She looked visibly excited. "Wow! Even I'm going to Tirunelveli to meet my parents."

I nodded and asked, "By the way, what are you doing?"

"I am a Chemistry teacher in one of the schools in Bangalore." 

I nodded at her reply and said, "I'm a Physics professor working in XYZ college".

"That's awesome! But Physics is a boring subject though," saying, she laughed.

I was offended by her words. How can she say that? I glared at her. "Hey! Physics is the most interesting subject in science. Only people with brains can find it interesting. And I find chemistry boring."

"What the hell??? Chemistry is the easiest subject in science. You just need to know the elements and its characteristics. That's it! You are done!" she literally yelled.

I spoke back in the same tone, "That's the thing! You have to memorize! But in physics, it's just logic and reasoning."

"You are speaking like this as you are a physics major. Ask any student, you'll know!" She smirked.

I was frustrated by her behaviour. So, I argued further, "My students enjoy my subject the most. And for your kind information, even you spoke on behalf of chemistry as you are a chemistry major."

She twisted her lips in disagreement and muttered, "Chemistry is the most interesting subject! See! Even in romance, we say they have amazing chemistry."

"Inga paarunga! Neenga samandhame illana pesuringa!" (Excuse me! You are talking unnecessarily.)

"Who? Me? You are talking unnecessarily! Is this the way you behave to someone who helped you?" she said, rolling her eyes.

"Even I have helped you by lending my charger. Tit for tat!" I responded.

Her eyes widened and she said, "I have lend you my hand! Don't forget that."

I froze for a second hearing her. Realising how it sounded, she corrected, "I mean... I helped you.."

I shook my head and mumbled, "Physics is interesting!"

"No! Chemistry!"

"Physics!"

"Chemistry!"

"Physics!"

"Che...."

"Kids these days! Yelling and fighting for silly things. Let us sleep. It is 9:30. Stop disturbing us," said the same lady while we shut up.

Sensing the time, I told, "Can we arrange the berth? It's late. Some other passengers may occupy the lower berth soon."

She nodded and we arranged the berth, buckling the belt securely. I took the upper berth and Priya took the opposite one.

"Good night!" I mumbled.

To which she whispered, "Chemistry is the best though! Good night!"

Being over emotional, I spoke louder, "NO! Physics is the be..." only to be cut off by an irritated voice, "pesama thoongen pa!" (Please sleep without talking, pa)

[Pa - represents an endearment for males, mostly used by elders]

I closed my mouth while I heard a chuckle. It was Priya. Don't how I am gonna endure her throughout the journey! 13 hours to go...

 Grumpily, I turned around facing the ceiling fan which rotated with a creek sound. Typical Indian transport systems!

Soon, sleep engulfed me while I shifted into my dream world.

AUTHOR'S NOTE✨

Hope you all liked the beginning. Since this is a short book, each chapter would have 1000 or more words.

 So... Hour one is done! 13 more hours and still there's a lot of tantrums to go!!!😅

Guys, kindly click that STAR button, so that I can know if you all enjoyed...