CHAPTER 10 - Engaged!

Time Skip : One Week⏳

KARTHIK

A week elapsed and it was my engagement, today. I honestly didn't know what to do. I tried my best convincing my parents and obviously, they refused.

I looked at the mirror hung in my room which reflected me, dressed in formal shirt and pants. 

"Karthi? Ready ah? We have to reach the mandap soon," my best friend, Vijay, said.

I glanced at him, feeling melancholic. "You know I am not interested in this. Still..."

He sighed before uttering, "Karthi! You'll like her after marriage. Everyone don't end up with thier first love."

I nodded, wrapping my wrist with the watch. I didn't have any other option. So, I ambled towards the mandap, downhearted.

Soon, I found myself on the stage, with a garland of flowers around my neck. The priest continued chanting something under his breath and ultimately, handed a saree to the bride's mother.

Casually, my eyes landed on the decorated board which was inked with my name and the bride's name. I was flabbergasted, interpreting the name.

KARTHIK. S

     ❤️

PRIYA. R 

Priya?

My mind immediately drifted to her whilst I composed myself, 'There are 1000s of Priya s in the world. This must be some other girl.'

Though, my heart said with persistence, 'She is the one!'

Was she?

Suddenly, Vijay nudged me and muttered, "Dei! Un aalu vara, paaru."

(See, your bride is here.)

With a heavy heart, I slowly glanced at the direction, he pointed. Girls dressed in lehengas and half sarees entered the hall, surrounding my fiancee entirely.

'My fiancee? Seriously?'

I shook my head and looked at her, only to acquire the shock of my life.

Priya?

I was in a state of mixed feelings. But slowly, realisation dawned upon me and immediately a smile was plastered on my face. Everything came to its place. 

Shit!

Why didn't I see her before? How stupid of me to ignore my love, inspite of she, being my fiancee?

Pulling me out of my thoughts, Vijay whispered in my ear, "Now you know, why I didn't speak against your engagement."

My eyes widened. "What? You knew?" I asked.

He nodded mischievously whilst I hit his shoulder slightly. "Idiot! Why didn't you tell me, before?"

He chuckled. "I wanted to surprise you."

I rolled my eyes and Priya came into my sight. A beautiful, silk saree wrapped her body and minimal jewels adorned her neck. Her anklets tingled slightly with each step, she took and fresh jasmine flowers embellished her silky, long hair. Her eyes were downcast.

While I was consuming her beauty through my eyes, she stood beside me with a smile.

I was literally speechless and in a blink of an eye, the rituals were fulfilled. All the while, Priya was unusually silent.

 Jiffies later, we were asked to exchange the rings. After a moment of hesitation, I held her hand and slid the ring. Priya replicated the same after which, we took blessings from the elders.