CHAPTER 4 - City of Handlooms

HOUR SIX⏳

PRIYA✨

Teasing him was so fun!

The fact that he gets irritated easily adds up the satisfaction. Smiling at my thoughts, I lend a glance at him. He was scrolling through his phone. Reels, maybe.

Unable to bear the silence, I called him out, "Karthi?"

"Yeah?" he responded without looking at me.

Shifting closer to him, I asked, "You have insta account?"

His eyes met mine and he replied, "Yeah, I do!"

"Oh!"

"Why?" He quirked his brows and I smiled. "Just like that."

"That's an absurd question! Everyone has insta nowadays," he said, shifting his attention back to the phone.

Sighing, I peeked at his phone. A particular reel was going on, where a guy was romancing with his wife. In the kitchen, of course! The iconic chapathi dough scene.

Controlling my smile, I asked, "Practicing to romance your future wife, huh?"

His head snapped at my direction, with shock evident on his face. Seeing his reaction, I burst out laughing while he glared at me.

"See, I just viewed it randomly. It wasn't planned, okay?" he mumbled.

I chuckled. "Alright, accepted!"

Huffing, he lend his attention to the mobile. Again, I must add. Honestly, I was pissed with his silence and ignorance.

It's boring as hell. Giving up, I spoke with irritation, "Karthi, please keep that damn phone away!"

"Huh?" He was confused with my outburst and I added, "It's gonna be three o' clock!"

He nodded and said, "Yeah! So what? Wanna sleep?"

This guy!

Exasperated, I yelled, "NOTHING!" And shifted to the window, to be specific, way from him. 

Sensing my displeasure, he moved near me.

"Priya? I'm sorry. I was just playing. Let's talk na!" he voiced slowly and I melted at his words.

"Idiot!" I huffed.

Just then, the silence was enveloped by his throaty laughter. Laughing along with him, I said, "Okay! I forgive you."

I looked at him and he said, "If Nitrogen had another name, it would be Priya."

Bewildered, I pondered twice. Finally, realisation dawned upon me that he was referring me as laughing gas, N2.

After having a good amount of laughter, I said, "If Cringe had another name, it would be Karthik."

His lips twisted in annoyance, and I chuckled. Time passed, and it turned three. Talking with Karthi was so nice and.... I don't have anything else to say.

My eyes watered with tiredness and my lips parted to let out a breathy yawn. Noticing my sleepiness, Karthi said, "Let's sleep."

Before I could respond, he spoke again, "Let's sleep! End of the discussion."

Huh? Okay! Anyway, he's right. So I lifted my body off the seat, strolling to my sleeper berth. Soon sleep consumed me with its wonderful, dreamy embrace.

HOUR NINE⏳

"Priya? Priya?"

My sleep was disturbed by some noises, to be specific, voices. I rubbed my eyes and sat up on the berth, only to hit my head at the ceiling.

"Ouch!"

What a great start of the day? Just awesome! (Note the sarcasm)

Rubbing my wounded head, I turned to my left, only to face Karthi. He looked fresh with his hair combed. 

Looking for any obstructions, I carefully got down. 

"Good morning!" said Karthik with a raspy voice.

Morning voice, I guess.

Wishing him the same, I helped myself to the restroom. After freshening myself, I sat on the empty seat which was right below my berth. The passengers must have left earlier.

I unplugged my phone from the charger only to see the time. It was 6.15 am. My usual waking time! 

Suddenly, a steaming, hot cup was stretched out before me. It was tea, obviously. I held it, muttering a thanks to the person which was none other than Karthi, himself.

We would reach our destination at 11 pm, hopefully. Cooling down the tea, I sipped it slowly. I glanced at Karthi who was busy, admiring the nature.

Currently, the train had started from Karur. I shifted my gaze to the window, only to go all aww on the view.

The agricultural lands were dotted with doll-like figurines, who were irrigating the crops. It was sight to behold. It's been months since I had views these. Back in Bangalore, I didn't get much time to explore nature due to a hectic schedule. But now, I get to enjoy the scenic beauty of Mother Nature.

Karur, being a city of handlooms, there were looms here and there. The sounds of mills, though noisy were pleasant to hear. The train crossed a coconut grove, relishing my eyes with sweet, yet hard coconuts resting on the trees. The backdrop was reddish yellow due to the sunrise. 

Exquisitely designed, nature! Just beautiful. 

I sighed, cupping my face with my left hand, resting my elbow on the window railing. My eyes filled with delightful sparks. 

My mom loves tender coconuts. The sudden reminder of my parents, made me miss them. I just wanna meet them, as soon as possible.

I couldn't wait to have Tirunelveli Halwa (Famous sweet in South India) and relish its taste!

Five hours to go...

AUTHOR'S NOTE✨ Kindly Read!

Sunsets are proof that endings are beautiful ✨❤️

Nature is something which cannot be expressed in words. It has to be felt and viewed with heart. Moreover, it cannot be created nor destroyed, atleast completely.

(Not me stating the Law of Conservation of Mass 🤭😅🤣)

Alright! Let's be serious. I feel that nature is being exploited a lot, nowadays. Day by day, destruction is increasing rapidly.

So, this is my sincere request that everyone ought to plant a seedling. Atleast one per year, on your birthdays, special occasions, etc., 🌱

Please refresh our world with more trees. Don't crush it with more plastic.

Wow! Refresh and crush rhymes!   *Clears throat*

So yeah! Please fulfill my request. Being a nature enthusiast, I can't help but rant here.😐

#SaveNatureSaveCreatures (Hope that's readable!)

As a starter, comment "Nurture Nature ❤️🌱" here to support our mother, Nature  ==>

Phew! That was long. Hope you're still there!

 Hope you're still there!