Halloween special

(A/n So I decided to do a Halloween chapter, it's my favorite time of the year. It's probably shorter than normal, but I hope you guys enjoy it! - Night)

********************************************************************************************

Halloween special

~October 1994~

It only been a fews days since I adopted Emma, five days to be more specific. I had apparently started fostering Emma on her birthday, a fact the agency failed to mention. I only learned this fact when I was signing Emma up for school, her birthday was on the documents the agency gave me. Now I feel like crap, I've been planning a small thing for Halloween. She deserves a birthday party, even though it will only be three of us. She's been quite distant and quiet, probably afraid I'll send her back. That will never happen, not for anything or anyone.

With Halloween just around the corner I decided to make the best of it. Pumpkin carving was the first on the list. We went to the grocery store first, but we didn't really see any we liked. The pumpkins were either small or had some kind of deformity. Three different stores and two pumpkin patches later we finally found our pumpkins. Next stop costumes. I had our driver take us to the nearest costume shop. Yes, I hired a driver. I usually do when I have to go to multiple places, it's easier and safer than if I was to drive. Emma was quite the entire time, every question I asked she would just nod or shake her head. I really need to find away to get her to talk. The silence is killing me! "Miss Salvatore we're here"The driver said. "Thank you Jason"I said as we exited the car. "I'll be parked right over there"He told me. I nodded, taking Emma's hand and heading inside one of the shops. "So do have any idea of what you want to be?"I asked. She shrugged. Oh come on, please talk to me! "Should I dress up too?"I asked and she replied with another shrug. I sighed and we made our way towards the kid costumes. The isle looked like a tornado with through it. "You can pick whatever you want"I told her. She hesitated before looking through the costumes.

Almost an hour passed and she still hadn't picked a costume. I noticed her linger on a few before she continued to look. Princess, fairy, cop and a witch. "Find anything?"I asked. She shrugged. "Why don't you try them on? See which of your favorites you like the most?"I suggested. She stood there for a moment then looked at me almost like she was trying to see if I really meant it. I gave her a reassuring smile. "Okay"She finally said grab a few of the costumes. She speaks! Now to find the dressing rooms. It took us a minute, but we managed to find them at the back of the store. I let her go in by herself and told her to just call on me for help. Up first was the princess costume. She looked adorable, but I could tell she hated it. She kept adjusting the dress and looked rather uncomfortable. "You look beautiful"I told her. "It's itchy"She stated as she adjusted the dress again. "Well that's no good then. Why don't you try a different one?"I suggested. She nodded and went back in the changing room.

Several costumes later and she found one she liked that was also comfortable. "What about you?"She asked quietly. Her voice barely audible, but I of course heard her. I smiled and hummed. "Well what do think I should be?"I asked. She shrugged and looked up at me with a small smile. So off we went to find the adult costumes. I quickly regretted that choice upon seeing some of the selections. Almost every one was a form of sexy blank. Things an eleven year old girl shouldn't see. Hell I wish I didn't see it! She seemed so unfazed and started walking down the isle with me quickly following after her. Who knows what she'd see! "Umm Emma, maybe we should ask an actual employee?"I suggested. "Do adults really wear these?"She asked. "Um I uh don't know"I answered. Suddenly I was at a loss for words. We continued down the aisle, but when I saw what laid at the end of isle I quickly stopped her and ushered her down the other way. "I think we were going the wrong way"I told her. She didn't say anything and we quickly headed down a different isle. Thankfully this one had more tame costumes. "There we go"I said and let out a heavy sigh of relief. "Was there something wrong with the other isle?"She asked. "Not my style"I told her. She giggled a bit and looked up at me. It was in that moment I knew she had pulled one over on me. "I've been in foster families since I was born, I saw some of the big kids wearing them"She told me and I let out another sigh of relief. "Are we really going trick or treating?"She asked quietly. "Of course, I thought it would be fun. Do you not want to?"I asked. Did I push too much? "I've always wanted to...but no one ever let me. I wasn't even allowed to carve pumpkins"She stated looking down at her feet. "Well you can this year and all the years to come"I reassured crouching down to her level. She dropped her costume and hugged me. I was a bit taken aback, but gladly returned the hug as smile appeared on my face.