Chapter One

(A/N I thought the video suited Ro and Emma, I was actually looking for a different one when I came across this one. Enjoy the chapter)

********************************************************************************************

~Boston, 1994~

Breath in...
Breath out...

There's no reason to be nervous, you're the original Heretic. Get it together Ro, you can do this. "You're doing it again Ro"My friend told me. "I know I am,but can you blame me after every-"I started, but he cut me off. His ocean blue eyes giving me a pointed look as he spoke, "After everything you deserve a break, you deserve to be happy Rowena and you will be." I smiled and nodded in agreement. "I hope that you're right"I said as the car came to a stop. I starred at the building in front of me, it was a tall building with around 10 floors and a lot of buildings. It was one thing to say it, but I'm actually here...I'm actually about to try and adopt a kid. My heart pounding heavy in my chest as I reached for the door handle, but I couldn't open it.

I've lost my bloody mind!

This was bad idea, a very very bad idea. I'm the original heretic not a mother. What the hell was I thinking? Things will go bad, it'll be like Marcel all over again. My mind was no swirling with all the bad that might happen, that can and will happen. "Alright come on Rowena"My friend said and opened the door. "No, I want to leave. This was a horrible idea and I shouldn't be here"I said trying to pull the door shut. Instead I found my self being pulled out of the car. He rolled his eyes and started pulling me towards the building. "Ro, you're going in there and when you come bac-"But I cut him off, "No I'm not. If Mikael shows up he'll go right for the kid, knowing that will hurt me the most. He tore the head off Nik's horse there's no telling what he would do to my kid"I said. "Mikael is locked away desiccating in tomb. You said it your self he's not getting out of there"He stated. "I've been wrong before. I thought my family and I were safe before, but we weren't. He always finds us."I said. "He's sealed in a tomb by a Bennet witch, only a Bennet can open that door. Then you did a spell to tell you if someone tampers with the tomb. Mikael is not getting out of that tomb."He exclaimed. "What if he does? What if a witch or someone else finds a loophole and let's him out"I asked. "If, and that's a big if, if he gets out then he won't have this"He said opening the glove box and taking something out causing me to gasp and my eyes to go wide. That something was a white oak stake. "The white oak, but he said we wouldn't find it"I stated. "That's because he was keeping it on him,here this should give you some piece of mind"He said holding out the stake. I took it and smiled. Without the white oak Mikael won't be able to kill us. He wouldn't even think about coming after me without it, not when I can place him right back into that tomb.

Then without hesitation I handed it back to my friend. He's been the closet thing to family I've had in a long time. After all the crazy shit we went through with those psycho scientists and escaping that hell in 58, we became close. There were three of us there, we had a plan to get out, but only two of us made it. Though I think that might be a story for another time. "Are you sure Ro, I mean don't you think it's safer with you"He asked. "We can't destroy it since it's the only real way to get rid of Mikael.I think the safest place for it is with the man that saved my life"I explained. He smiled and put the stake back. "I'll put it somewhere no one can find it"He promised. "Now, Do you think your ready to go in there"He asked. I looked at the building then back at him. Knowing the white oak wasn't still out there able to hurt me or my family, it felt as though a weight had been lifted off my shoulders. "Yeah I think I might be"I said. "Then what are you waiting for Ro, go in there "He said. "Thank you Damon, for everything"I said hugging him. "You're welcome. Now go already"He said pushing me towards the building. "Ok, ok. Here goes nothing"I said as I walked towards the building.

Once inside I walked up to the front desk to find out where to go. "Excuse me, I had a 1:30 with Mr. Becket"I said to the receptionist. "It's two o'clock. You'll have to reschedule"She said as she continued to type. I sighed, there was no way I was rescheduling after everything I went through outside. I quickly did a small unnoticeable spell to block the cameras and speed around the desk. I taped the receptionist on her shoulder, she spun around about to scream when I covered her mouth. "Don't scream, your clocks are wrong, it's 1:30"I compelled them removed my hand. "Our clocks are wrong, it's 1:30"She stated in a monotone voice. "Please follow me to Mr.Becket's office"She said standing up and leading the way.

When we got to the office she knocked on the door. We waited there for a few minutes before she knocked again, this time the door was opened by a short round man with a receding hairline and glasses. "You're 1:30 is here"Said the receptionist. "She's thirty minutes late. You'll have to reschedule"He said gruffly. "You may leave"I said to the woman. She left swiftly and I turned to the rude man in front of me. "Your clocks are wrong, it's 1:30"I compelled. "Our clocks are wrong it's 1:30"He monotones. "Please come in and Miss Salvatore, I'm sorry about the confusion"He stated stepping aside to allow me in. I had chosen to go with Damon's last name, since it would be easier to hide. It was actually Damon's idea. "It's quite alright"I said walking in and taking a seat. He shut the door and sat down at his desk. "Now then, let's get started"He said taking out a file.

An hour ticked by as I filled out the necessary paperwork and answer his questions. During this time I had learned that I would be fostering an eleven year old girl named Emma. "Well Ms. Salvatore everything seems to be in order"He said. Of course it's in order I compelled someone to create the necessary documents. "So, when will I be able to meet her and take her home?"I asked. "Tomorrow, she's currently in a group home. I'll have a social worker pick her up and bring her here"He explained. I nodded and stood up. "Thank you. What time tomorrow?"I asked. "Will noon work you"He asked. "Yes that'll be fine. I'll be here at noon tomorrow"I said. He opened the door and I headed back downstairs.

When I got outside I noticed that Damon's car wasn't here anymore. No matter, it's not like he'll be hard to find, Damon is probably at the nearest bar. I started walking looking around for his car. It did take me long before I found the light blue '64 Chevy Camaro sitting outside a small bar. He's so predictable sometimes. I walked into the bar where I found Damon chatting up the bartender. "Must you always play with your food"I joked sitting down. He laughed then took a sip of his bourbon. "So what's the verdict"He asked. "Tomorrow I will be fostering a little girl name Emma Swan"I stated. "Mary a bourbon for my friend. I believe we should celebrate"He said waving the bartender over. "It's Maria"She corrected. "I don't care. My friend here wants a bourbon"He compelled. Without a word she pulled out a glass and poured the bourbon. "Leave the bottle"I compelled as I grabbed the bottle. "If we were human we'd be in trouble"He said. I laughed, he was right about that. Vampires rarely feel the effects of alcohol, those who do drink it like it's a can of pop. However, the older the vampire the less the effect, especially with how weak it is compared to years ago. "I think we would be dead"I stated bringing the glass to my lips.

Time flew by rather quickly laughing, playing pool, one guy even picked a fight with Damon. Damon ended up taking the guy outside, messed around a bit making the guy think he stood a chance, before Damon tore into the guy's neck. Eventually we left heading to my place with the bartender in tow. Thank god for silencing spells. I tossed the last log into the fireplace then took a seat on the coach as I did a simple fire spell to light the logs. As I sat sat there watching the flames I found myself falling asleep. Today has be a long day, a good day, but a very long day.

Tomorrow will be a whole lot better.