[𝟐𝟐.] 𝐁𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐟 𝐀𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐦𝐚𝐭𝐡

_______ 💉 ______

            _______ 💉 ______

Blinking his eyes open, Vincent found himself lying on a firm, white hospital bed in the clinic room.
The faint scent of antiseptic lingered in the air, and the quiet hum of medical equipment surrounded him. 

His teammates were scattered throughout the room, some engrossed in books, others engaged in hushed conversations, and a few merely dozing off. 
It was a scene of temporary respite from their intense missions.

A familiar soldier who proclaimed himself as "Slick Nick," approached him and casually plopped down in the chair next to his bed.

"Hey, Commander, how's the recovery coming along? You gave us quite the scare back there."

He turned his attention to Nick, offering a faint, tired smile. 

"Recovery's a slow process, but I'll eventually get there." He replied, now casting a glance at the bandages wrapped around him. 

"Though, I'd say I'm stuck in this bed for a while with all these stitches, that's for sure."

His lilac eyes scanned the room, noting the relaxation amidst the healing space. 
A sense of comfort settled over him despite the Head Nurse's potential disapproval of the relaxed ambiance. 

Returning his attention to Nick, he added with gratitude, "I really appreciate your support out there, all of you. It's been quite the task leading this team for the first time."

Slick Nick let out a hearty laugh and waved a dismissive hand.

"Aw, come on, commander. We're a team, and we look out for each other, no matter who's leading.
And you, Commander, have been a stellar leader. Without you, we'd be missing our MVP - our secret weapon."

Vincent chuckled, appreciating the compliment. "Secret weapon, huh? I think you're giving me too much credit here."

Slick Nick's laughter filled the room, a contagious, exuberant sound that had everyone turning to see what was so amusing. Vincent couldn't help but join in, a rare moment of levity in the otherwise intense life of a soldier.

As the laughter settled, Slick Nick leaned in slightly, an air of confidentiality in his voice. "Hey, Commander," he began, his eyes gleaming with a hint of mischief. 

"We might've done something for your benefit. We thought you could use some rest, so we made a little deal with the Head Director."

Vincent furrowed his brows, curiosity mixed with a touch of wariness. "A deal? What kind of deal?"

Slick Nick leaned in further, as if revealing a secret.
"We told the Head Director that you're currently resting, recovering from your injuries.
So, hopefully, you won't get any new mission requests while you're healing up."

Vincent's initial reaction was gratitude for the thoughtfulness of his teammates. 
The idea of not being handed a new mission while he was trying to recover was indeed a welcome one. 

However, as he processed this information, a bitter expression replaced his lighthearted smile. 
The Head Director had a way of making even well-intentioned gestures feel like strings attached.

His voice softened, almost hushed, as he expressed his gratitude. "I... appreciate what you've done. 
It's honestly a relief to have some time to rest, maybe for a few days, or if I'm lucky, even a couple of weeks."

But then, with a tinge of weariness, he sighed. "But, you know, it’s better sometimes not to engage the Head Director directly." He continued, his tone hushed.

"He can, uhhh, be a bit unyielding.
His decisions aren't always the most merciful, and that's a given fact."
There was a hint of frustration in his voice, indicating an unfortunate history of clashing with the Head Director.

The commander knew all too well about the ruthlessness of the Head Director. 

While the dedication to the organization's cause was undeniable, the manner in which it was pursued often overlooked the human element. 
The relentless pursuit of missions and objectives sometimes came at the expense of the soldiers' well-being, a fact Vincent had experienced firsthand — particularly regarding his complicated relationship with that ruthless director

The Head Director was known for a leadership style that often bordered on the ruthless. 
Though this leadership might have been effective in some aspects, it also carried a weight of stress and unpredictability, especially when dealing with the individuals in his team.

"It's a challenge, managing our duties and balancing them with personal recovery," Vincent continued, his voice tinged with a mix of resignation and determination.

"Sometimes, it's better not to draw too much attention from the top brass when you're in the state of recovery."

A pang of concern sliced through him, contrasting starkly against his usual casual and easygoing expression. 
His face clouded with an air of worry as he sensed the change in Vincent's mood.

Quietly acknowledging the impact of his words, Slick Nick realized that his previous remark had inadvertently cast a shadow over Vincent's mood. 
Deeply regretful, he lowered his head in a subtle sign of contrition, recognizing the weight his words might have carried.

With a voice tinged with remorse, he muttered an apology.

"I'm sorry, commander. I didn't mean to add to your stress. That's the last thing I— no, we wanted."

"Please, don't apologize, it's not your fault. It's not about you." Vincent explained, his voice softened with gratitude for Nick's concern.

"I'm just feeling the strain of these situations."

Despite feeling the weight of his responsibilities as a commander, Vincent appreciated Nick's intention and kindness.
The burden of command often made his shoulders heavy, and the recent injury compounded the strain. 

It wasn't just one instance or one comment that affected him; it was the culmination of the trials he faced, both visible and invisible.

Vincent leaned back, his gaze focused on a distant point. 

He knew that, in their line of work, demands were bound to be intense, but the Head Director's disregard for the team's well-being felt at odds with the values of camaraderie and safety that he held dear. 
It wasn't just about his personal experience but a concern for the entire team.

"I want the best for our team." He admitted, the weariness in his voice revealing his desire for a healthier balance between duty and care.

His sudden deviation from his usual pattern was rather surprising. Typically, he was reluctant to take brief breaks from his ongoing missions, now it was quite the opposite.

Vincent sat there, pondering in silence, his gaze resting on the bustling activities of his team in the clinic room.

His resolve to keep his team insulated from unnecessary stress remained unwavering, even in his current state. The serenity of the clinic room contrasted with the whirlwind of thoughts and concerns swirling in his mind.

Amid the subtle hum of the clinic, Vincent made a silent promise to himself, reaffirming his commitment to lead his team with resilience and empathy.

As he watched his teammates relax and joke, their laughter reverberating through the clinic, he recognized the importance of maintaining this dynamic.
It was the collective moments of respite that fortified their unity and strength.

The demands from above were often divergent from his own instincts and the team's requirements. 
It was like an ongoing battle, one that Vincent was fighting with resilience, hoping to maintain the perfect balance to shield his team from any unnecessary turmoil.