Champagne Problems

Noah

The air was still and quiet in the early morning hours as I sat on Alex's bed. Her room sat with everything in place as it always was, her closet mostly empty now. I freaked out when I saw how empty it was, I then scanned the room for her personal and valuable items. I breathed a sigh of relief when I found the glass jewelry box, a journal, and her favorite perfume. She's not gone, not forever. She just needs time and space. It hurts like hell to give that to her, but I'd do anything for her, I just have to push through, work on the album like she said.

We were on a small break, Nick left for home this morning. I've been driving him crazy asking about her. I desperately want to call her, text her, see her face; but she asked for space and I'm giving it to her. She'll come back when she's ready. I love her too much to mess this up, things are already so rocky, I can't risk making it any worse.

In my hands I squeezed the pink plush heart pillow from her bed, the one she always told me not to squish when I laid down. It was small and cheap but buying it for her made her so happy. Remembering her grinning like a fool in the middle of target made me smile, then it hurt. It's been so long since I've seen that smile. Fuck, I just want her to be happy, I want all of this to pass and things to get better. I want to start the new year with her, and call it our fresh start. I want her to come home.

Alex

I had been home for two weeks when Christmas Eve rolled around. My mom had sent me in her car to pick up Nick from the airport, the guys took a couple days off for the holiday and Nick would be here for three days. As I drove through traffic I had the deep fear settle in that Noah would accompany Nick. I knew it wasn't likely, seeing as we hadn't spoke since I left, but the thought still plagued me. When I denied Noah's request to come with me he understood what I meant when I asked for time and space, something I am very grateful for. He hadn't texted or called, not once, and as much as I wanted to reach out I knew it was best if I didn't.

I had a lot of explaining to do when I showed up on the front steps. There was a heavy amount of interrogation from my mom who required every little detail. I didn't tell her the truth about Washington, my job there, what I went through during it all. I can't hurt her like that.

I put the car in park after squeezing into a parallel spot next to the curb and pulled the key from the ignition before opening the door and standing up. I made my way around the car and leaned against the passenger door facing the airport doors to wait for my brother to appear. The chill air pinched at my face as I stood there, all this time I had missed the cold and now I was here, so found myself wanting the California sun.

A wave of tired travelers made their way through the sliding glass door and out onto the side walk. I scanned the crowd for the hair I know so well, there he was, at the back, per usual for him. His eyes caught mine and a goofy smile spread on his face, I pushed off the car and approached him as he sped up to get to me. He dropped his bag and bear hugged me, wrapping me in warmth. "I missed you so much!" He exclaimed as he lifted me off the ground.

"It's only been two weeks you dork" I joked as he set me down.

"It feels like forever! Noah won't stop talking about you, he's going stir crazy" I felt my jaw clench as Nick picked up his bag before standing up straight.

"He's a big boy, he'll be okay" I brushed it off as I turned to head to the car. Popping the truck I lifted it open allowing for Nick to drop his bag inside before closing it and heading to climb inside the car. The car doors shut at the same time with a dull thud, I cranked the car and pulled out onto the road.

"When are you coming back?" Nick asked as he peered out the window, taking in the scenery. "Noah's hoping you'll come back with me. He wants you home for the new year."