Bad Blood

Slamming the door to my beat-up corolla I headed across the parking lot towards the painted cinderblock building where I work. The sun was hidden behind a heavy layer of clouds, as per usual for Washington state. Trekking up the cement ramp and to the heavy metal door I entered through the back and straight into the first door to my left, the dressing room. No, I am not a stripper, I do not take my clothes off for money. I'm a burlesque dancer, I dance around in extravagant costumes for lots of money. Although my job is highly coveted among girls like me, my job is not something my family would approve of, so I don't tell them. I didn't lie completely, I told then where I worked, I just told then I was a bartender making great tips; which is true, our bartenders do make great tips.

Throwing my bag down on the counter in front of an empty chair, I claimed my spot for the evening. I pulled my bag open and got started on my makeup as others started to filter into the dressing room. My phone buzzed against the counter as I flipped open my eyeshadow palette. Glancing at my phone I saw a text from my mom.

Hey sweetie, your brothers in town for a couple of days, you two should meet up.

No. I have to work, and I can't risk Nick finding out anything about my job. Maybe next time. I ignored the text for now.

Nick

"Yes mom, we're on our way now, all of us are" I was on the phone with my mom. "Yes, I'll get a picture of us together. Okay mom I got to go. We're pulling up now." I felt bad for doing it but I had to hang up on the women or she wouldn't stop talking. I slipped my phone in my back pocket before exiting the rented SUV and stepping out onto the sidewalk. It was around ten at night so I assume they're getting busy now, I don't know if I'll be able to provide mom with the picture she requested, but I'll try.

I followed the group through the front door of the club straight into a dimly lit hallway where we were stopped to pay the cover charge. The name of the club made it sound like a strip club; kind of worries me for the kind of men my sister is serving in there every night. Making our way further into the club I saw across the room a moderately sized stage but the girls on it looked nothing like any strippers I've ever seen. The guys were all in awe, I was more in shock. As the guys gawked at the girls on stage, I headed to the bar to find my sister. I leaned against the bar standing between two barstools, I gave a good look over the bartenders working. She's not here; mom said she was working tonight. I held up my hand to flag down a bartender, within seconds a bubbly pink haired girl approached me.

"What can I get you?"

"I was actually looking for my sister that works here, you know Alex?" The pink haired girl gave me an apprehensive look. "Alex, she's a bartender" I clarified.

"Oh, she's not a bartender" the pink haired girl states confidently.

"What are you talking about?" I asked as panic set in. We must've gone to the wrong place; this girl doesn't know my Alex.

"She's a dancer" she clarified "she's going to be on stage next" I felt sick. What has she gotten herself into. I thank the pink haired girl before turning back to the room and trying to locate my group. It felt like the room was spinning around me, like I was moments away from seeing red. I spotted Noah's lankiness across the room as he was taking a seat at a table near the front right by the stage. I weaved through the maze of tables and chairs and claimed a chair of my own once I arrived out at our table.

"So did you find her?" Nicholas asked from across the table. I only shook my head. "What?"

"She not a bartender"

An announcer came over a big speaker and announced the title of the next number our heads snapped to the stage. As soon as the music started, there she was, my little sister, Alex, heavy makeup bedazzled costume, fishnet tights, stiletto heels. Now I was seeing red.