🕊 Eight • The Disaster 🕊

mai khaali tann haan, rooh tere vich ve,
o naa tadapa sajna, mujh mein samaa jaa ve,
o jind mahi aa jaa ve, seene laa jaa ve,
o dil vich agg jo tu layi, usnu bujha jaa ve

[Jind Mahi - Diljit Dosanjh]

🕊🕊🕊

Abhimanyu's phone rang shrilly in the stillness of the night, startling him awake. He groggily glanced at the clock, its hands indicating that it was well past midnight. The voice on the other end of the line was urgent, conveying grave news of a natural disaster unfolding in Meghavali, the picturesque yet treacherous mountain range situated on Awadh's northern boundaries.

As the caller described the catastrophic events, Abhimanyu's exhaustion vanished, replaced by a sense of duty and urgency. He hung up the phone, his mind racing. The situation was far worse than any previous accidents in Meghavali. Landslides and earthquakes had become increasingly common due to over-tourism and unsustainable construction practices.

Quickly dressing in a plain white kurta and trousers, Abhimanyu jotted a hurried note for Sahana and left it on the nightstand, explaining his sudden departure. He knew his absence would worry her, but the people of Meghavali needed help, and he was determined to provide it.

Within the hour, Abhimanyu arrived at the base camp set up near the affected areas. The moonlight offered a faint glow, casting eerie shadows among the towering trees. The sounds of distress and chaos filled the air. He was greeted by a team of local volunteers, who provided him with a situational update.

The disaster had struck with a cruel ferocity, causing large sections of the mountains to collapse. Entire villages were buried beneath tons of rock and earth. The death toll was already staggering, with more than a hundred lives lost within a few hours.

Abhimanyu wasted no time. He began coordinating the emergency response efforts. Military units were called in to assist in the rescue and relief operations. They set up floodlights and started digging through the debris, searching for survivors. As the night progressed, the sight was heart-wrenching—men, women, and children being pulled from the wreckage, their faces etched with fear and relief.

Large transport vehicles were stationed to ferry survivors to safer locations. Temporary shelters were hastily erected to provide protection from the cold mountain night. Volunteers worked tirelessly to provide food, water, and medical assistance to the affected, their selflessness evident in the face of such tragedy.

The financial aid from the government was immediately arranged, ensuring that families who had lost their homes or livelihoods could find some solace in the midst of their suffering. It was a small measure of relief for those who had lost so much.

As the night turned into dawn, Abhimanyu made his way to a vantage point, where he could see the extent of the devastation. Meghavali's beauty had been overshadowed by the devastating effects of over-tourism, unchecked construction, and the ruthless force of nature. It was a stark reminder of the urgent need for change.

He decided to take immediate action. Back at the base camp, Abhimanyu gathered local officials, volunteers, and community leaders. His voice was unwavering as he addressed them, "We must protect this land and the people who live here. I propose that we enforce stricter regulations on tourism and construction in the Meghavali range."

The group nodded in agreement, recognizing the necessity of preserving the natural beauty of Meghavali while ensuring the safety of its residents and visitors. Abhimanyu continued, "We'll also establish a disaster response team that can be deployed at a moment's notice. Prevention is as crucial as reaction."

In the following days, regulations and plans were put in place to safeguard Meghavali. Tourist numbers were limited, and strict building codes were enforced. Awareness campaigns informed the public about the importance of responsible tourism and sustainable construction. Abhimanyu's leadership and dedication during the crisis had a profound impact on the region.