Chapter 33

As he closed the door behind him, Lando slid down the wall, resting his head in his hands. His entire body was shaking, and he gasped for air. He was crying, over Elenore, yet again. Why did it have to be so hard? Why did he have to love her so much? Because right now, it took every single ounce of his willpower to not run after her and wrap her in his arms and kiss her. God, how he wanted to kiss her. But he couldn't; he was with Luisa. Oh God. Luisa. He hadn't thought about the fact that she was there, in his apartment.

He dried his tears and tried to compose himself, but as he walked into the living room, it all went to hell. He broke down again as he saw her because he knew. He knew that he couldn't continue on like this.
"Amor, what is wrong?" Luisa hurried up to him, wrapping him in a hug.
"Luisa, we have to talk," he spoke in a low voice.
"Why are you crying?" She looked into his eyes.
"Luisa, we can't continue," he sighed, "we can't be together."
"What?" A tear escaped from her eye, "why?"
"It is not fair to you," he dried her tear with his thumb, "Luisa, I love you, but I-" he took a deep breath, but before he could say anything, Luisa interrupted him.
"It's Elenore, isn't it?" You would expect her to be mad or maybe at least sad. But Luisa wasn't like that; she was so empathic. Lando didn't dare to say anything; he just nodded.
"I know, Lando," she sighed. "I've known all along."

Lando looked into Luisa's eyes, astonished by her understanding and the absence of bitterness in her voice. He had been prepared for a more painful conversation, expecting anger and disappointment. Instead, he found himself encountering a level of compassion that left him speechless.
"You knew?" Lando finally managed to ask, his voice barely a whisper.Luisa nodded, her gaze unwavering.
"Yes, Lando. It wasn't hard to see. I saw it in your eyes when you talked about her, in the way your face lit up when you mentioned her name." Lando felt a mix of guilt and gratitude. He felt guilty for not being completely honest with Luisa but grateful that she had understood him without needing him to spell it out.
"Luisa, I'm so sorry," he said sincerely. "I never wanted to hurt you." She reached out and gently touched his cheek.
"I know you didn't, Lando. And you're not the only one who's sorry." Lando furrowed his brow, confused.
"What do you mean?" Luisa sighed, her gaze dropping to the floor.
"I've known for a while that I can't make you forget her. As much as I wish I could, I can't compete with the history you and Elenore share." Lando's heart ached at her words. He cared deeply for Luisa, and it pained him to see her hurt by the situation.
"You deserve so much better than this, Luisa." A small, melancholic smile tugged at her lips.
"We both deserve to be with people who can love us fully and without reservation, Lando." Lando nodded, understanding that it was time for both of them to move on. Their love was genuine, but it was overshadowed by the memories and feelings he still held for Elenore.
"I'll always cherish the time we had, Luisa," he said, feeling a lump in his throat.
"Me too," she replied, giving him a gentle, lingering kiss. It was a bittersweet farewell, filled with love, understanding, and acceptance.

As they parted, Lando knew that it was a moment of closure, not only for his relationship with Luisa but also for the chapter of his life that had been dominated by his unresolved feelings for Elenore. Now, he had to find a way to face the future, and perhaps, someday, find the happiness he truly deserved. Luisa gave him a reassuring smile, filled with empathy and warmth.
"Lando, I want you to be happy, even if it's not with me." He nodded, tears glistening in his eyes.
"Thank you, Luisa. You're an incredible person." With a final, tender embrace, they both knew that they were parting with kindness and understanding. Luisa collected her belongings and walked to the door, taking one last glance at the apartment she had shared with Lando.

Alone once more, Lando leaned against the door and let out a deep sigh. It was a sigh of relief, sadness, and the weight of the decisions he had made. He couldn't deny the love he still had for Elenore, but he had come to realize that it was time to move forward. Lando picked up his phone and hesitated for a moment. He knew what he had to do. With a sense of anxiety, he dialed Elenore's number. The phone rang, and his heart raced as he waited for her to answer.