Chapter 25

That evening, the atmosphere in Elenore's family home was filled with excitement and anticipation. Gathered around the dining table were her mother, her three brothers, and their respective partners. Elenore's smile radiated happiness as she glanced lovingly at Lando, her partner in life. It was a momentous occasion, and she couldn't wait to share their exciting news.

With a gentle clearing of her throat, she captured the attention of her family. All eyes turned to her, their curiosity piqued. Holding Lando's hand tightly, she began, "We have something wonderful to share with all of you." She paused for effect, her eyes sparkling with joy. "We're moving back here."

A chorus of delighted exclamations and wide smiles erupted around the table. Lorenzo, her eldest brother, couldn't contain his happiness. "You are? Oh, that is wonderful!" he beamed, raising his wine glass in a toast. Her mother, equally overjoyed, exclaimed,
"My baby is coming back!" Tears of joy glistened in her eyes as she reached across the table to grasp Elenore's hand.
"I am so happy for the two of you," Charlotte, Elenore's sister-in-law, chimed in, her warmth and support evident.
"When is the move?" Lorenzo asked as he sipped on his wine.
"At the end of the month," Lando answered with a big smile on his lips. Elenore looked over to the side of the table where Charles had been sitting, only to realize that he was gone.
"Where did Charles-" She felt her heart break, her brother would never be okay with this.
"He is outside," Charlotte answered, her voice was laced with sympathy.

Elenore stood up and headed to the balcony. The rest of the table continued talking about the move.
"Charles?" She stepped out into the brisk air of the night. And there he sat. He sat on one of the chairs in the far corner of the balcony, looking out over the marina.
"Charles?" She repeated her words. But he didn't show any sign of listening.
"Charles Marc Hervé Perceval Leclerc," she raised her voice.
"Mhm," he mumbled, but he didn't turn around to look at her.
"Why are you always like this?" She sighs as she grabbed a chair and sat down beside him.
"Always like what?" He mumbeled as he continued to look out over the marina.
"Why can you never be happy for me?"
"Because Elenore," he turned around to face her. "I can't let go of the fact that you slept with Pierre!" He exclaimed, making Elenore flinch.
Elenore's eyes welled up with tears as his accusation hit her.
"Charles," she whispered, her voice breaking, "I thought  you were over that."
"You what?" Lando's voice ecoed. Elenore turned around and saw Lando standing in the door frame with a blanket in his arms.
"Lando-" She stood up, "I-, I can explain."
"When?" Lando asked, his voice breaking.
"It dosen't matter," she replied, her voice barely above a whisper.
"Last year, after the race here," Charles replied coldly. Landos face dropped, a tear fell from his eye. Lando's face turned ashen, a single tear escaping his eye.
"The same night—?" He couldn't bring himself to finish the sentence, the pain too much to bear.
"Please, mon amour, let me-" Elenore pleaded, her heart breaking.
"Please," Lando took a deep breath, "Please don't" He stepped back from her, "I should leave." He started walking away.
"No, Lando!" Elenore hurried after him, "please don't leave," she sobbed, grabbing his hand.
"Elenore, I can't," He sighed as he dropped her hand. "You lied," tears ran down his face. And with that he left. He closed the door behind him.
"No," Elenore whispered, dropping to her knees. "No," She sobbed.
"Elenore-" Charles placed a hand on her back.
But Elenore's grief and despair knew no bounds. "Don't you dare!" she screamed, pushing Charles away. "You just destroyed the only genuine relationship I have ever had. I love him, Charles!" Her voice echoed through the night, a desperate plea for understanding. "And you had to destroy it. I hate you!" She screamed as she stood up and walked back to the balcony, her heart torn apart. She saw Landos figure walking down the streets. She wanted to scream after him, tell him to stay, but she knew that what she had done was unforgivable. She sobbed, her heart breaking with every single tear that she shed.

"El?" Charlotte stepped out onto the balconey and sat down beside her. "Oh, El," she held her close, letting her cry in her arms.
"I love him," Elenore spoke inbetween the sobs. "Now he's gone,"
"He is not gone El," Charlotte answered.
"Yes he is," Elenore sobbed. "He hates me," Charlotte gently brushed a tear from Elenore's cheek.
"If you really loved someone, you can never hate them."
"I've lost him," Elenores voice was frail, "I've lost the love of my life." She looked at Charlotte.
"Oh, Elenore." Her voice was sympathic, she held Elenore close. "It will be alright,"

As the night wore on, Elenore remained on the balcony, her heart heavy with grief. The city had long since fallen into a deep slumber, its streets empty and quiet, a stark contrast to the turmoil within her. She clung to the hope that Lando might return, that somehow this nightmarish ordeal would come to an end, and she would wake up in his arms. But deep down, she knew this was her new reality, a reality without the love of her life.

Inside the apartment, her family had retired to their rooms, leaving Elenore and Charlotte alone on the balcony. Charlotte had been a comforting presence, offering a listening ear and soothing words, but the pain in Elenore's heart was too profound to be eased by mere words. Elenore's thoughts swirled like a storm. She replayed every moment of her relationship with Lando, every laugh, every shared dream, every tender touch, and it was all tainted by the knowledge that she had kept a terrible secret. She loved him more than life itself, but her own mistakes had driven him away.
"I can't believe I let this happen," Elenore murmured, her voice heavy with regret. "Charlotte, what have I done?" Charlotte tightened her embrace, offering comfort in her silence. She knew that words alone couldn't heal the wounds in Elenore's heart.
"I should have been honest with him," Elenore continued, her tears flowing freely. "I should have told him everything, no matter how painful. But I was afraid of losing him, and now I've lost him anyway."

"Maybe I should go after him," Elenore said, her voice gaining a flicker of determination. "Maybe I can find him and make him understand. Maybe there's still a chance." Charlotte gently pulled away from the embrace, looking into Elenore's eyes.
"Elenore, it's late, and he needs time to process all of this. Running after him now might only push him further away. You've already hurt him deeply. Give him space to heal."Elenore nodded, though her heart ached with the desire to chase after Lando, to hold him and never let go. But she knew that Charlotte was right. She couldn't force a resolution to this painful situation. She needed to respect Lando's need for space.

The night wore on, the sky gradually lightening as dawn approached. Elenore remained on the balcony, watching as the city slowly stirred to life. Her thoughts were a stormy sea, her heart torn between hope and despair. As the first rays of sunlight bathed the city in a gentle glow, Elenore made a silent promise to herself. She would do everything in her power to make amends, to prove to Lando that her love was true and unwavering. She knew it wouldn't be easy, and the path to forgiveness would be long and arduous, but she was willing to fight for their love.

Elenore finally stood up, her legs stiff from sitting for so long. She turned to Charlotte with a determined look in her eyes.
"I won't give up on him, Charlotte. I'll find a way to make things right, no matter how long it takes." Charlotte smiled warmly, proud of Elenore's resilience.
"Love is worth fighting for, even in the darkest of times."

The story of Elenore and Lando was far from over, and Elenore was ready to write the next chapter, one filled with love, forgiveness, and the unwavering belief that true love could conquer even the darkest of nights.