Chapter 31

The sudden ringing of Elenore's phone in the middle of the night jolted her from a deep slumber. Her voice was groggy as she answered,
"Hello?"
"Elenore?" The voice on the other end of the line made her snap wide awake, sitting bolt upright in her bed.
"Lando?" Her heart raced, and she couldn't stop trembling.
"El..." His voice was fragile, laced with pain.
"Lando, what's wrong?" Her concern was immediate.
"I..." he stammered, struggling to find words."It's okay," Elenore tried to soothe him. "Take a deep breath." She listened as he took shaky, uneven breaths.
"Are you okay?" she asked, her worry evident.
"No," he whimpered, his voice barely a whisper, filled with anguish. Elenore felt a sinking feeling, not knowing what had caused Lando to call her in this state.
"What happened, Lando?"
"Your letter," he cried softly.Elenore's mind raced as she tried to grasp what he meant. Then, it struck her. The letter she'd written to him, the one she had never intended to send, must have accidentally slipped into the box she'd sent him. She cursed herself for the oversight.
"Lando, I never meant for you to read that," she admitted, a heavy sigh escaping her. "I'm so sorry."
"Don't be," he whimpered. "It was beautiful." Elenore wanted to explain, to tell him that the letter was a flood of raw emotions she had never intended for him to see, but he cut her off.
"I don't think you're thinking clearly," she cautioned, her heart aching as she spoke the words.
"No," he whispered, "please just let me talk," he pleaded.
"Okay," she said softly.
"I miss you, Elenore, so much," Lando cried softly. "I don't care what happened between you and Pierre; I just need you," he pleaded.

Just as Elenore was about to respond, her bedroom door creaked open, and Pierre peered in.
"Everything alright?" he asked. Elenore jumped, emitting a startled yelp. She looked pleading at Pierre and waved him out, but it was too late.
"Who is that?" Lando's voice had lost its earlier pleading tone.
"No one," she answered in a hushed voice as Pierre quietly closed the door behind him.
"Who is it?" Lando's frustration was palpable.
"Lando, please," she begged.
"Tell me," he demanded.
"It's Pierre," Elenore finally confessed, heaving a heavy sigh. She could hear Lando whimper, a faint sob escaping his lips.
"I'm sorry if I disturbed anything," he said icily.
"Lando, no!" She called out, but the line went dead. Furious and heartbroken, she flung her phone across the room and stormed out to the living room.

"Hey," Pierre said carefully, sitting on the couch.
"Out," Elenore demanded, her gaze icy.
"What?" Pierre looked at her, confusion etched across his face.
"Out, now," Elenore repeated firmly, refusing to meet his eyes.
"What are you talking about?" Pierre stood and approached her.
"I swear to God, if you don't get the hell out of my apartment, I will call the cops." She stepped back, her voice dripping with anger and frustration. Pierre, sensing the gravity of the situation and Elenore's intense anger, slowly took a step back. He couldn't ignore the seething tension that had filled the room. With a sigh and a heavy heart, he retreated towards the front door.
"Elenore," he began, his voice a mix of apology and regret. Elenore, her eyes still fixed on the space where her phone had crashed against the wall, didn't acknowledge his words. She was grappling with a whirlwind of emotions. Her heart was heavy for Lando, who sounded so broken on the phone. She wanted to reach out to him, to explain the letter, to tell him she hadn't meant for it to reach him. But it was impossible with Pierre standing there.
"Out," she repeated firmly, her voice unwavering.

Pierre finally made his way to the door. Before leaving, he cast one last sorrowful glance back at Elenore. Then he walked out, closing the door behind him. Elenore was alone in her living room, the echoes of Lando's voice and Pierre's exit hanging heavily in the air. She picked up her phone, her hands trembling, but it was broken. Of course, it was, she had thrown it into a wall, was she stupid or something? The anger she felt was quickly exchanged with guilt. She needed to reach Lando, but it was impossible without a phone and thousands of miles away. She needed to talk to him, now. It was the middle of the night, she had no phone, how the hell was she going to get to him?