// thirty six //

Adora, Sophie and Alden sat in a row in said order. They were on a pedestal. 

Everyone was here. Like everyone they had ever talked to. Even Stina was there, sneering at Sophie as Bronte rose to read Sophie's charges. 

Today was a big day. 

1.) Sophie's trial for bottling the Everblaze. 

2.) Sophie's future at Foxfire. 

3.) Adora's future at Foxfire. 

Adora had made about eight different variations of a speech on what she could say to persuade the Council to let her stay at Foxfire. 

She memorised all of them. She even wrote down her key points on her wrist in pen, lucky that her sleeve covered it. She didn't. 

She didn't feel too nervous...yes she did but she didn't think about how nervous she was, instead pushing it to the back of her head and letting adrenaline replace it. 

Between the laws and the bylaws and the sublaws, Sophie had committed around five major transgressions, and eleven minor transgressions which is a new record. 

Sophie wasn't scared. 

She'd been drugged, kidnapped and interrogated, watched her best friends be tortured for trying to escape, and had to fight her way back from fading away. No matter what the Council decided, it could never be worse than what she'd already survived.

Adora watched like a proud mom as Sophie's legs didn't give out from under her and she did a less than graceful curtsey. She held her head high and her chin up in front of the ever most regal Council. 

"Miss Foster," Emery said, his voice warm. "On behalf of the entire Council I'd like to express our relief that you made it home safely. We'd also like to assure you that we will find whoever was responsible for your kidnapping and make them see justice for their actions."

"Thank you." Sophie's voice was strong and steady. 

"That being said, you stand before us today accused of very serious charges. What have you to say in your defence?" He had asked. 

Adora had helped Sophie try and come up with an apology, only Sophie had Adora turn it back into a perfect piece of paper and after that a tree sapling when they got to Everglen. 

Sophie wasn't sorry. 

And Adora wasn't going to make her feel it if she didn't believe she did something wrong. 

So Adora sat near Alden, in her soccer mom moment as she watched Sophie address each and every one on the Council. 

Sophie took a deep breath and made eye contact with Adora, who gave a reassuring smile as she spoke. "I never wanted to break the law, and I don't plan on doing it again. But people were losing their houses. People were dying. I know they were humans, but I couldn't sit back and let it happen. I'm sorry if that's a crime. I won't argue if you punish me for my choice, but I firmly believe it was the right decision. I'd rather be punished for making the right decision than live with the guilt of making the wrong one for the rest of my life."

Whispers stuffed the room's silence until Emery cleared his throat and silence fell upon the crowd. 

Emery placed his hands over his temples as the councillors began their telepathic debate. 

Adora swore she could've seen Terik give her a small wink. She took this as a good sign. What's wrong with a little hope? 

Or a lot of it. Adora had a buttload of hope.