// eleven //

When Adora woke up, she felt rather empty— and not because she hadn't eaten since she said goodbye to the elvin world. She learned things that she would've never known and saw amazing and glorious things. But it was all over now, and along with this striking world, Sophie left with it. 

She didn't have an appetite at all. She got dressed in her jeans that were a size too small and a black sports t shirt. She didn't have to money to buy new jeans, nor the time. 

She had called herself on sick for the school for today and yesterday. She wanted to take time to process everything and she kept that small sliver of hope that she could be an elf? It sounds stupid, and she felt stupid trying to make things float or read peoples minds but at least she would be able to join Sophie.

 She really didn't have anything going for her here. Her mother was too busy watching TV or searching for part jobs to worry, or even acknowledge her. The last time she spoke to her father over the phone, he yelled at her and called her and her mother insults. (Adora yelled back at him, he really had it coming and after Adora made some deep points at him, he hasn't attempted to call since.) She also wasn't too keen on going to the city college, or working, or going to school. 

She switched between reading history books to seeing what fairytales she should read to the kids today. She also attempted to levitate things. She felt stupid but she hoped. It never worked. She even tried throwing things at her face to try and stop them from hitting her face, like how Sophie did with the metal street lamp. That didn't work either. Maybe she should've just forgotten it all. It wouldn't have hurt as much. God she wanted to talk to Sophie

It was early in the morning when she heard their doorbell ringing. "I'll get it." She called. 

She went downstairs and she wasn't sure what possessed her but she made sure to check the peephole. Something she usually wouldn't do. 

She passed her mom in the kitchen who was blankly staring at the bills they had to pay. Adora wasn't sure how long she was doing that for. 

She checked the peephole and her heart stopped. She saw the jogger-man. Same outfit as before but this time without a dog and with several people in black hoods behind him. He had a sick expression on his face. "Adora Annabelle Green! Come out! We need to talk to you!" He grinned as he looked back at her through the peephole. 

"Oh hell no." She didnt open the door instead she went back into the kitchen. "Don't open the door Mom. It's just some stupid advertisers. Damn people don't know when to quit." She complained. Her mother nodded. 

The doorbell kept ringing. Adora packed her bags with whatever she would need. Ever, that included her bass— a Christmas gift the Fosters had given her— her story book, hairbrush, small notebook and her favorite sweaters. She just had a feeling she needed to get away. She stuffed it all in her bag. 

She reached under her mattress and grabbed the tips she's earned over the years for telling stories. She grabbed it all and went downstairs. She placed it on the counter for her mom. 

"I know it's not much. But it'll help right?" 

Her mom hugged her and told her sweet-nothings. The only time her mom gave her affection was times like these. Nevertheless, Adora tried capturing the moment and pretending that it wasn't because of the money. 

Her mom continued staring at the bills and then at the money. 

"Hey mom, I'm going on a school field trip to Europe." Adora said. 

"Thats nice honey. Do I have to sign anything?" She said blankly. 

"No, the fosters signed for me. I might be gone for a few weeks."